Is added fiber necessary?

rayne

Everytime I hear a commercial about getting fiber in my diet, I wonder is added fiber necessary? If you eat a balanced diet and get as many raw vegetables as you should, then added fiber shouldn't be an issue, should it?

Hyacinth

I think that it is best to get your fiber from natural sources first. Personally, I eat a lot of fiber-rich foods, so I don't see the need for added fiber. Health experts say that any increase in fiber intake is good though.

freshfoodie

The people these products are aimed at are not the people eating a well balanced diet. If you are eating a well balanced diet you shouldn't need any kind of supplement, whether it is fiber, vitamins or minerals.

aunaturel

You should probably track for a week or two to see how much fiber you're actually getting compared to what the average person needs. Also, there are times where it's beneficial to add extra, whether you need it for your recommended allowance or not.

chabella

All Lady
I heard it all of the time too but it just seems like anything else on the TV, you need this and you need that. You need it all. Have you ever had a problem needing it in the past or do you just think you do because of what you hear?

SuzyQ

I think fiber is over rated, and there are certain conditions for which fiber can be the worst thing you can take, like IBS. Most people who eat a reasonably healthy diet get enough.

SoftRain

If you are eating a balanced diet, you don't need fiber supplements. I find that when I fall off the healthy eating bandwagon a bit, though, fiber can be very helpful.

Myrrh

I don't take fiber supplements because I really try to get enough fiber from the food I consume. Fiber is good, but I don't stuff my body full of it. I think that moderation is still the key.

Lyra

I've never found a need to add a fiber product to my diet. However, I have known some people who had constipation problems due to things like medications they are taking. In that case I think adding a fiber drink is better than taking a medication such as a stool softener.