I would love to find a candle that smells like chlorine

MJ175

I know that might sound a bit strange, but to me, nothing smells better that that fresh, clean smell of chlorine...which then makes me think of a swimming pool. Aromatherapy is all about calming the mind and body through sense of smell, and in my book, nothing is more calming than the smell of a swimming pool. Makes me think of being on vacation or sitting out by the pool during the summer months. I have yet to find a chlorine-smelling candle, but if I ever do, you can bet I'd buy 10 of them. The only thing that comes close to this smell is when our cleaning lady cleans the bathroom with bleach and then keeps the door closed. When you open it, you get instant swimming pool. ;):cool:

Ankh

I can kind of relate to what you are saying. At first I saw this thread and I thought thats stupid, but then I read your post.
I agree Cholorine does sometimes have a fresh odor to it. I don't think I could stand to have my whole house smell like it though.

SifuPhil

Although I can understand a liking for a chlorine-based odor and the mental association one can make with cleanliness, you have to realize that inhaling chlorine gas in an enclosed space for a length of time can be dangerous if not fatal.

That's probably why they never came out with chlorine-scented candles. ;)

Mrs. Rogers

Oh yeah there's a definite smell with pools, but wow as an adult that uses chlorine to clean all that smell would make me think of is washing the sinks.

dissn_it

That would be a unique smell for a candle but I don't think you can get the smell into one. You might want to see if you can find the smell in something else instead of a candle. I was thinking perhaps some white curtains washed with bleach would be a good alternative.

beckyv1265

Yuck I hate the smell of chlorine. Try cleaning with a greata orange cleaner. Then you can just keep aa crock with some citrus and associate that with clean.

zukichucha

Chlorine is definitely a unique smell. After a while you might get used to it and not notice it anymore though. I have had that problem when I love a certain scent and use it for a few weeks. But all you have to do is switch to something else for a few days then switch back. Good luck finding this scent. Maybe you can call Glade and reccommend it to them.

freshfoodie

I think that Yankee Candle has a fresh laundry scent that might come close. I don't think I would like that smell at all. Bleach smell tends to make my eyes water.

rayne

Chlorine is a clean smell indeed in a disinfectant kind of way. Have you tried the fresh linen spray or candles. I find these remind me of the beach. It has that certain wave, sand, outdoor smell.

Waynefire

Chlorine is the smell that reminds me of hospitals. After working in one for several years I am trying to get as far away from this smell as possible.

Esperahol

...Hmm that is a difficult one. If your calm place is water and associated with swimming then perhaps something that brings to mind water? Something cold like juniper maybe. You know someone could make a killing creating custom-order candles and the like for situations like this.

shaunche

It does sound strange but I can see your point. The smell of an outdoor pool instantly transports you to being on holiday. I'm not sure what scents would replicate the chlorine smell, and chlorine isn't exactly good for you either.

MJ175

Yeah, I know what you guys mean. Chlorine would be impossible to add to a candle. I might just check out the "clean linen" scented candles like a few of you suggested. Maybe they will have a hint of that smell to it. Thanks to everyone who responded here. :)

AnonaMoss

That is a unique scent indeed! I say go for it. I used to love the smells of pools when I was younger. I would love to see a picture on the candle and perhaps a recipe. I would be very curious to smell a chlorine candle lol.

Esperahol

That is a unique scent indeed! I say go for it. I used to love the smells of pools when I was younger. I would love to see a picture on the candle and perhaps a recipe. I would be very curious to smell a chlorine candle lol.
I want a candle that smells like the refridgedent chemicals that keep freezers cold. I used to eat the ice that forms in refridgerators even though my mother was not cool with that.

AnonaMoss

I want a candle that smells like the refridgedent chemicals that keep freezers cold. I used to eat the ice that forms in refridgerators even though my mother was not cool with that.
Hahaha! Go for it. I think it's unique and different! It also makes for a good conversation starter for people with a sense of humor.

Jessi

I definitely can't say I've ever come across a candle that smells like chlorine, nor would I want to. I've seen ones that smell like the ocean, so in terms of that breezy pool vibe, there's that. For the actual clean, chemical smell, though? Uh, good luck!

Esperahol

Hahaha! Go for it. I think it's unique and different! It also makes for a good conversation starter for people with a sense of humor.
Honestly I think it is like how the smell of gasoline and antifreeze are pleasant, but you really shouldn't deal with them. I don't know why people make poisonous things smell fantastic.

SifuPhil

Honestly I think it is like how the smell of gasoline and antifreeze are pleasant, but you really shouldn't deal with them. I don't know why people make poisonous things smell fantastic.
That's why they always warn you to keep pets away from antifreeze, because they'll be attracted to the sweet odor and taste. Now gasoline is a different story - having worked as a mechanic for a brief smell I never grew to enjoy that. To me it always signified that there was a leak somewhere that I had to fix. :(

And I'm not sure but I think gasoline just smells like it does naturally - no sweeteners added. Household gas usually has mercaptans added so that you'll know from the sulfur smell that you have a leak.

My last girlfriend smelled wonderful ... talk about poison ... o_O

It sounded silly when I read the title, but now that I read your reasoning behind it I can understand. It is similar to the smell of fresh linen for me. Fresh linen isn't really my favorite scent in the world, but I like it because it reminds me of a clean house. I usually almost always like it when my house is freshly cleaned, vacuumed, dusted, etc.