Husband lifts too much weight

lettuce

My hubby keeps injuring his back by lifting too much weight performing dead lifts. How can I convince him to stop or go easy on them without sounding naggy?

misumaru15

Maybe speak to him about how it is more important to lift properly, than to not lift at all. He could really hurt himself if he is more concerned with how much he is lifting than the right technique. Maybe you could offer to have him see a personal trainer. Maybe he would be able to learn the right way to dead lift.

hunysukle

Tell your husband that he is not getting proper results by lifting weights that are too heavy. Any personal trainer will tell you that. If he doesn't believe you, have him talk to a personal trainer at your local fitness center. Plus, he could seriously strain a muscle or tendon and then not be able to workout again! He should take that seriously.

shaunche

There is no problem with doing deadlifts, it is one of the most functional and natural movements known to man - man has been lifting weight from the floor for time immemorial. However, if he is injuring his back, his form needs to be corrected, mention this to him.

fallace

Just say it straight, if he injures himself constantly, he either shouldn't be doing the lift, or isn't doing it correctly. At least suggest having a trainer teach him proper form to try and prevent it...

chabella

All Lady
Draw him a picture of a stick man with a set of dead lift weights near him, in the next image do the same but give the man a sad face. While I am serious and it is funny, sometimes men just do not understand it until they see an image of how silly something is. Add some dollar signs to show him that the injuries will cost him money too.

EthanWang

This is definitely a serious case. My dad is now 60 years old and now also suffer from backpain. The only reason i found convincing enough is that he working out too much when he was young. From many researchs that Ive read, they always indicate that lifting weight must be done in an appropriate period of time and weight(30-40kg). With this method he can obviously increase his strength in a more sufficient way plus wearing protective belt can help A LOT in decreasing backpain 's frequency. And another point : Its never ever neccessary to lift too much weight to be more strong and have perfect body. Im a gym coach and i know it.

I would sit down and talk with him how he should start small and work his way up. It is not good that he is hurting his back when he lifts. He should be feeling good about his body, it shouldn't be hurting. Hopefully he can understand the consequences and lay back on the weights a little.

Tecca_Nina

Just really try to explain to him that you are worried that he is really going to hurt himself, and state from the get go that you aren't trying to be naggy. It may be a case of, he's going to have to have a bad experience and learn from it, but I hope not. That's how I learned and I definitely lift weights more safely now. Try to make him realize how horrible it will be for him in the future simply because he did not take more precaution.

peacenik

Honestly, if he hasn't learned better from being in pain more than once, I doubt that anything you say will change things. I would just make it clear that if he is going to persist in doing things he knows could injure him, that you don't plan on taking care of him if he gets hurt.

Ankh

Just let him know how it makes you feel.
Tell him you are worried about him.
Tell him that excessive weight lifting can
result in early Alzheimer disease.

Suzie

Draw him a picture of a stick man with a set of dead lift weights near him, in the next image do the same but give the man a sad face. While I am serious and it is funny, sometimes men just do not understand it until they see an image of how silly something is. Add some dollar signs to show him that the injuries will cost him money too.
This is the greatest answer I've ever heard. Next time I see my hubby lifting too much I'm going to do this! He'll be too busy laughing to life anymore. :D

Tecca_Nina

Honestly, if he hasn't learned better from being in pain more than once, I doubt that anything you say will change things. I would just make it clear that if he is going to persist in doing things he knows could injure him, that you don't plan on taking care of him if he gets hurt.
This could also be a good idea. You just need to really get the message across somehow. Something that he wont just immediately disregard and forget about as soon as he starts lifting weights again.

Sugarhill

My hubby keeps injuring his back by lifting too much weight performing dead lifts. How can I convince him to stop or go easy on them without sounding naggy?

Have you ever considered going to the gym with him on his days that he works on deadlifts? If you ask him to teach you how to do them, then he'll place more focus on form than weight, because he doesn't want you to get hurt.

While he's teaching you how to do it, you will in turn, be teaching him how to take care of himself because he'll rather knock out a proper set than strain in front of you. Not to mention, you'll both get in better shape.

You're approaching this problem from the wrong side of his ego.

Tecca_Nina

Have you ever considered going to the gym with him on his days that he works on deadlifts? If you ask him to teach you how to do them, then he'll place more focus on form than weight, because he doesn't want you to get hurt.

While he's teaching you how to do it, you will in turn, be teaching him how to take care of himself because he'll rather knock out a proper set than strain in front of you. Not to mention, you'll both get in better shape.

You're approaching this problem from the wrong side of his ego.
That's actually a great idea I never would have thought of.

Definitely try this. :D

His form is probably incorrect. How many kilograms does he lift? In theory, dead lifts are perfectly fine, if all the movements go smoothly. Try and get him to find a professional trainer to teach him the correct ways.

Waynefire

You may want to direct him to some of the back injury websites and the consequences of repeat injury. I know I cannot lift anymore because I broke my back as a firefighter and can no longer lift a lot of weight. So maybe this can help you convince him as well because I have numbness and tingling all the time in my leg from it.

Garrett Erb

I'm willing to bet he is not using proper form if he keeps injuring his back...either that or he's trying to lift WAY to much. I can speak from experience; when I first started deadlifting, my form was terrible...this resulted in me straining my back until I corrected it.

GGGuardian

Try convincing him to wear a support belt for when he lifts. It holds the lower back tight to try and prevent any slouching or improper form when lifting. This should help out your husband.

srj

Tell him to make his form better and use a weight lifting belt. His other lifts will suffer from back injuries so stopping deadlift is the easiest way to improve his workouts.