Hugging and Your Health

Cassia

I just read that according to scientists, a daily hug can actually be beneficial to your cardiovascular health and more. They say that just ten seconds of hugging releases oxytocin, a hormone that reduces stress, lowers blood pressure, fights infections and fatigue!

Claudette

Yum! I'm going to have to convince hubby we need to snuggle up more often. I love hugging, and hugging for your health sounds like the perfect exercise. If I could only get my children to hug more. They think they're too old for hugging.

SoftRain

Well that's an easy way to be healthy. I love to hug my kids and spouse. I'm not surprised to hear about the oxytocin flow, since it always makes me feel better after I hug them.

Lyra

I read an article recently that said that you need something like 4 a day just for survival and up the ladder to 12 a day for maximum good health. My love language is touch, so I am particularly prone to positive effects from hugging, I think.

Hedda

I have heard this sort of thing before. How about just reducing stress so that you have a general sense of well-being? I think that would go farther than a hug, frankly.

Aletha

It's no surprise to me although I'm surprised they have actually identified the chemical part of a hug. It's nice to be able to quote studies for those who are hardheaded enough to refuse to hug. :D

freshfoodie

Maybe this is why I am usually so relaxed! I am a hugger and I hug everyone. It is good to know that hugging is actually beneficial to my health too.

catevanne

Hugging can be great as long as the people involved don't have a cold or the flu. We all need that human condition. Wonder if it works for trees.

My whole family are huggers. There's nothing like getting a great big hug from someone, especially if you haven't been feeling so great. Our grandson is like that too, he loves getting hugs. :)

Lyra

I have heard this sort of thing before. How about just reducing stress so that you have a general sense of well-being? I think that would go farther than a hug, frankly.
I don't know that that is the case. Our bodies actually need hugs. Have you heard of the studies in which infants in orphanages who were rarely touched exhibited failure to thrive? I think we need both, reduced stress and regular hugs.

Trudy

We all need to spend time hugging those in our households. We just plain forget, although I know we do get in one a day at least. More hugs would be a great thing to add to the New Year's resolution list.

Greenwoman

I guess there is power in hugs! I guess it is the one medicine that makes everyone and feel tons better about the world. And the best part is that it's free!!

jolee

It's cool to see scientific verification of the healing, health-promoting effects of human connection. Physical touch is really quite important! I'm glad I'm comfortable being a hugger.

chabella

All Lady
Hugs are amazing. I never realized how much we as Americans avoid hugging people we might not know until I went out of our country. I was amazed by how many hugs I received in the U.K. from people that would soon become my distant family but they welcomed me with open arms.

Elberberry

I am not someone who necessarily goes around hugging everyone but I certainly do enjoy getting a hug. I especially enjoy a hug when I'm not expecting it. Those bring the most joy of all.

Luvkenny

I grew up in a house that didn't really hug. I hug everyone now! I hug my kids several times every day. My mom hugs me and them every time she sees us. Hugging just makes me feel better.