How Many Cups of Tea a Day?

Cassia

I am coming down with a cold, and to nurse it, I try to drink lots of fluids including tea. I am drinking green tea with lemon right now, and if my memory serves me right, this is already my fifth cup today. Is this okay? What is the maximum amount (if there is any) of tea one can consume a day?

Alli

As long as you don't drink that much every day, I think it will be O.K. It's important to get plenty of fluids when you have a cold and hot green tea is probably the best think you could drink. Enjoy and get well soon. :)

2Nature

I'm drinking one to two cups of tea per day and I don't think that is too much. Sometimes, during wintertime I'll up that to three at most.

Penelope

Any drink that is caffeinated does not count as fluid intake. Caffeine is a diuretic. My doctor always told me that I should have two glasses of fluid for every one cup of caffeinated beverage. You're better off drinking water and clear juices.

Cassia

Any drink that is caffeinated does not count as fluid intake. Caffeine is a diuretic. My doctor always told me that I should have two glasses of fluid for every one cup of caffeinated beverage. You're better off drinking water and clear juices.
Oh I see. I think I am doing just well when it comes to the fluid and caffeinated beverage ratio. I definitely drink much more water than tea or coffee. Thanks for the information!

Alli

Thanks Penelope. I had not heard this either. This means I need to drink much more water than I have been. I do like my coffee in the mornings and usually end up drinking more than I should. I will have to compensate for this in the future.

2Nature

Well if you look it that way, water itself is a diuretic because when you drink it it moves present water in the body out of the system.

Aletha

I can't drink too much tea during the day or later in the day. If I do, I can't sleep. I didn't used to have any problems with caffeine, but lately I have.

SoftRain

Actually, that's not true. While a drink with caffeine will not hydrate quite as well as plain water, it still hydrates you and you can count it as part of your fluid intake.