Horse and grasses

Trudy

My sister's granddaughter has just moved her horse to a pen on my sister's property. The horse is eating the grass all over the area, which was never designed for keeping a horse. I'm wondering if there are grasses that horses should not eat? Can they just eat whatever grows?

Where I used to live, those people who keep horses feed the horses more or less the same way they feed their cattle. Usually it's grass supplemented with cattle feed.Some people also give alfalfa to their horses.

strawberry

A horse will graze on whatever grass is around, but they really need to be fed a good quality hay containing alfalfa, supplemented with oats to be really healthy.

Once I lived near someone who kept a few horses. I think he just got bored of looking after them, so he let the horses go free range. So every morning, the horses would go out along the streets and forage in the trash bins very much like goats.

Trudy

They are feeding the horse special feeds and grasses they get from the tractor supply store or wherever you buy horse feed. I just wondered about there being grasses in the fields the horse should stay away from.