Homemade Chapstick

Lyra

My mother, whom you all may remember for making me lotion bars for pain, stopped by for a visit recently. She always seems to have little gifts for me, even if she wasn't planning to come by to see me. (Gotta love moms!) This time one of her presents was homemade lip balm, complete with the little Chapstick-like tube. She did such a great job! I really like the stuff. I am trying to keep from getting addicted to it!

freshfoodie

I would love to know what her "recipe" is! I love the idea of making my own lip balm. I have seen the tubes at craft shops and stuff. I know you can also buy the little pot style containers too.

Aconite

That's really cool because I am going through lip balm like you wouldn't believe right now! It's so cold and dry, I'm constantly reapplying it to keep from drying out.

PaloVerde

I had no idea people could make their own tube style lip balm. I guess the trick would be to get the right consistency.

Now nice of your mom! What a treat it would be to have all the homemade goodies as gifts.

lolli

Please ask her for the recipe! I would love to make it too. I'm sure it is better and cheaper than buying it from the store. I wonder how much of a pain it is to get it into the chapstick tubes?

2Nature

I love such ideas but I don't have the time to do them as much. Please share the recipe and does anyone know where can we buy those little plastic tubes?

Aconite

I love such ideas but I don't have the time to do them as much. Please share the recipe and does anyone know where can we buy those little plastic tubes?
I think you could use the other kind too. I forget the brand but they have a container that you unscrew the top and it was round instead of a long cylinder.

Okay, I just found a site that sells these supplies! Talk about a niche market.

Lyra

I will ask her to email me a link to her recipe. I am really loving this stuff. I have been using it every day! Running the heat makes it so dry! And I love that it is all natural.

hppyfngy

I'll be interested too. I make balms and lotions. I start with calendula oil, that I make from olive oil and dried calendula flowers. I like light OO that's not overpowering in taste or smell. You can use lighter oils like sunflower, grape seed, etc., but I like OO because it's good and slippery.
I use 2 cups calendula oil to 1/2 cup beeswax pastilles, melt in a double boiler and add 30-40 drops EO of lavender. It gives a nice consistency but I have never tried the balm stick "tubes" but I just use little tins I collect from candies or wherever. (little Altoid Smalls tins are nice and pocketable.)

This makes a really nice smelling and nice feeling balm good for lips or scratches or even chapped hands, scrapes, etc.

I adjust the beeswax to determine how loose I want the final product to be.

Myrrh

I think that's a perfect gift for this season because a lot of us have to battle against dry and chapped lips. I would like to try make my own lip balm, too, but I haven't had enough confidence to really give it a go.

hppyfngy

Myrrh, it doesn't get much easier than balm making. Fun too. You don't have to use calendula oil, (I like it as a base because it's soothing and antiseptic, so I actually is it for a base for massage oils too.) You can just use OO and beeswax and add scents like lavender as you see fit. I also tend to use a lot of used tins but you can buy bulk containers if you want to make a lot as gifts.

http://www.sks-bottle.com/Lip_Balm/Lip_Balm_Containers4.html