Home Remedies for Eye Stye

Myrrh

My aunts has a sty on her right top eyelid. Most sties go away on their own after a couple of days, but I think a home remedy to help ease the discomfort won't hurt. Is anyone familiar with home remedies for eye sty?

naturelady

I just use a hot compress a few times a day. A stye is like a little pimple or cyst, so you need to draw it out for it to drain. But some of the things I would use to dry up a blemish I would not use near an eye, like tea tree oil.

wildcherry

I read that a clove rubbed in water, then placed over the eye will give relief from the stye, and it helps to get rid of it.

wanderingherb

Chamomile tea, then use the herb in a bag and as a compress over eye. Warm if you can. Please no microwave. It affects the active constituents.

DixieMarie

Those are good tips and I'm glad that I read this topic. I get those every so often and now I have some good ideas on how to take care of them.

SoftRain

I often use warm compresses; I wouldn't use clove. When I'm breastfeeding, I'll squirt some breastmilk on it, but obviously that is not a solution most people can use.

naturelady

I often use warm compresses; I wouldn't use clove. When I'm breastfeeding, I'll squirt some breastmilk on it, but obviously that is not a solution most people can use.
That's me too, but some people actually turn their noses up to this idea! I use breastmilk for all kinds of things.

I love the idea of the camomile tea bags. I normally have that on hand, so I'll remember it the next time I have a sty.

wanderingherb

That's me too, but some people actually turn their noses up to this idea! I use breastmilk for all kinds of things.

I love the idea of the camomile tea bags. I normally have that on hand, so I'll remember it the next time I have a sty.
ROTFL. Actually milk has been used in the old days. Nice to have is warm and at the ready! LOL

naturelady

Oh, yes! Very handy. And studies have shown that breastmilk relieves other kinds of eye infections, like pink eye. It is good stuff to have around.

Clean it with a mild soap and use a warm compress. Just make sure she keeps her fingers out of it because it will get worse if you keep touching it.

My brother had a stye in his eye for the longest time. When it went away, it would return in just a couple of weeks again. He finally went to the doctor. He is the time of person who doesn't like using prescriptions, like me. The doctor suggested to use "Johnson n Johnson Baby Shampoo". This shampoo says right on the bottle that it is as mild as water in the eyes. The doctor said to use this as well as warm water and a wash rag. Sure enough, it cleared his eye right up. I'm not sure if you are looking for something completely natural, or if you are just looking to avoid getting a prescription. Good luck! Be sure she doesn't touch her eye with dirty hands!