hi everyone

Tazlina

Hi Everybody,
My name is Bev but I registered using my little doggies name that died from lymphoma several years ago. I am a dog person and have 4 of the wonderful creatures living with me now. The dogs have a cat that adopted them and moved in. I also have 4 birds.
I am a Reiki 3rd degree and can send wonderful healing energy if asked. I am looking to take a herbal healing course and become a herbalist this winter. If anyone knows of a good course please let me know.
I am a widow as my husband died of esophagus cancer 2 years ago. It was a horrible thing to watch happen to your most loved one.

I have been casually studying herbs for many years mostly what can be used in my own area.

I cant wait to meet everyone.

jason

Have a great day
Greetings and salutations. Long time since I met someone who practices Reiki. But it has been a long time since I have too. I am looking forward to seeing your posts on the site.

wanderingherb

Hi Tazlina!
I wanted to personally welcome you even though I too am new. Sounds we have some major commonalities! Even if we don't see eye to eye on some E.O.'s ;)

My husband passed away 3 years ago today from type 7 leukemia. Yes, we used a great deal of herbal and essential oil work, thank-god I had training and support from the places I had attended. I was raised with "natural" but the training allows you to specialize in certain area's if you so choose.

Welcome to Alaska by the way. I hear Trapper Creek is quite nice, and I've been contemplating moving even further North since I have connections up there. I've wandered about for the last 27 years. Home base is Sitka.

For your area, there is a wonderful book, it was controversial due to the nature of "Native" uses of herbs, but I don't think they actually pulled the book. You can find it through "Alaska Natural Heritage Program." It covers most the herbs in Alaska. "Medicinal Flora of the Alaska Natives" by Ann Garibaldi. She's wonderful. I contacted her when I did my thesis on Fireweed and she was very helpful.

Definately check out the Heritage Program:
Alaska Natural Heritage Program - Data Requests

The book has only minimal sketches of the plants, so another reference book I use, and also I had someone go with me sometimes, is "Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska" by Pojar and MacKinnon.

As for programs you can go through I really enjoyed:
American College of Healthcare Sciences - Formerly Australasian College

They are actually used to working with us oddballs from Alaska! They have aromatherapy, physiology, history, herbal, iridology...list goes on.

I've taken others also and went to many symposiums.
Depending on what discipline you want, and I really enjoy all sorts of perspectives, you can go to the
American Herbalists Guild | An Association of Herbal Practitioners
and find all sorts of herbal studies. Yes these are legitimate. I was a "student" member at one time, but right now too spendy for me as a practitioner. Many herbalists don't belong and they are wonderful, sometimes some folks don't want to belong to a "group" per se. Nothing wrong with that. BUT, they have good standards. So the information from them is excellent. They are not the only ones, but this is a good start and will probably keep you busy for days.

Have fun!

Wanderingherb

Tazlina

Thanks jason. When my Tazlina was sick with lymphoma the vet gave her 2 months to live but I used Reiki on her and she lasted just a week shy of a year and except for the last few days she felt pretty good.

Hi Wanderingherb,
Yes we do have many things in common. Sorry about the loss of your husband. Cancer is a nasty disease and it's awful to watch them die of it and there's nothing you can do about it. I found a wonderful support group through Yahoo that has helped me.

I have lived in Alaska for over 30 years. We started in Anchorage and worked our way north.

Thanks for the links. The only schools I am considering are ones connected to the herbal guild.
Thanks

wanderingherb

Your a tough one. Sorry I thought in one of your posts you said you had just recently moved to trapper creek. I took that to mean you were new!! Daughter loves it North, I'm more S.E. and Kenai

Australasian was connected to the Guild, hence the reason I went through them. But they just changed their name to American. It was nice cause i could belong to the guild at that time and was a student member for 6 years for a grand total of 15 a year and for less than half of the symposiums via the Masters of Herbal Health Sciences and another two years of Aromatherapy. Met lots of Alaskan during class. I wonder if they are not anymore?

Odd if they if they are not a member anymore. things do change though.

Wanderingherb