Herniated Discs

Brea

My husband found out he has several herniated discs. He is in a ton of pain, but they can not get him in for a spinal tap for several weeks. He heard that acupuncture might help with the pain. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

chabella

All Lady
While he is waiting is it possible that the doctor could refer him over to a physical therapy clinic that could help until a time opens up for the spinal tap? I find it very odd that the doctor did not suggest this to start with.

strawberry

Acupuncture has been shown to be an effective way to relieve pain for many people. It may be worth at least giving it a try, as it won't put undue stress on his back.

Carolynn

My doctor is thinking I may have a herniated disc or two, and I am willing to try ANY alternative to surgery. I am in the process of searching for a chiropractor, and now I will be looking for an acupuncturist as well. :)

MarBell

Acupunture for back pain

I had a friend whose husband went to an acupuncturist after trying everything else for his back pain. I'm not not sure precisely what the problem was, but he swears by his acupuncturist these days. His pain is significantly less.

Brea

Well, my husband put off the acupuncture, because money is tight since he is out of work. He did the spinal epidural, thinking it would help. Nope, he waited and waited and the epidural did nothing for him. I thought the doctor would have reccomended physical therapy, but he did not. I am thinking it is because my husbands back is so messed up, that it would only hurt him. Besides the 4 herniated discs, the doctor said something about bone degeneration. I feel so bad for him, because he can barely move now and the pain meds are not working. His next appointment to see the doctor is in two weeks! I get the feeling that doctors get a kick out of torturing people!

Carolynn

I am sorry your husband is in so much pain. My dad had the epidural several years ago and it didn't help him either. I think most insurance companies require the doctor's to try that before they move on to surgical options.

Acupuncture may help decrease the pain but the main problem is with the herniated discs. This must be given solution so that the pain will be gone entirely. Maybe you should consider seeing another doctor?

strawberry

My husband has had herniated discs several times over the past 10 years or so. You have to be able to get relief from the pain in order to allow your back muscles to relax enough for the discs to go back into place. It might be worth trying acupuncture so he can be pain free and start the healing process. It certainly won't harm him.

emerald

Acupunture might help but I know that for herniated disk he might have to do some physical therapy. He can eat more calcium and stretch his back more often to straighten those misplaced disk. I thought I had a herniated disk back then and what I did was a very simple yoga exercise where I would cross my legs and place them across the wall while my back remained straight agaisnt the floor and I would just breathe and exhale for 15 mins. This helped relieve all the stress on my lower back. You can find this exercise on youtube. Just type, yoga exercise for lower back.

This treatment will help with the pain. My husband has the same issue on top of a broken back. I told him to try it rather then the medications the doctors wanted him on all the time and this helped alleviate quite a bit of his pain!

shaunche

Acupuncture can help. Have you ever heard of the McKenzie technique? It proven 50 year old method for overcoming a herniated disk. There are hundreds of McKenzie therapists around the world, I would definitely recommend you husband sees one.

dissn_it

I hope your husband gets some relief soon. I have a bad back but his sounds much worse. I know that when you are in pain you want to do anything to get some relief. I was not familiar with the McKenzie technique that shaunche mentioned so I looked up some information online. I found a website that will teach you the basics and there are links to The McKenzie Institute to locate a provider in your area. Good luck!
TreatYourOwnBack.com - Treat your low back pain & neck pain using McKenzie techniques online in your home

beckyv1265

What about one of those inversion tables. The ones where you hang upside down. I have terrible pain in my lower back and often I have to rest it for awhile. I have been trying to do more core exercises to see if that helps. I saw the upside down thing on TV. If i could afford it I would try it out. Has anyone else tried this?