Herbs that help lower blood pressure?

minniedo

I've been having issues with high blood pressure lately and the doctor is saying if things don't calm down within the next month, he wants me to go on blood pressure medicine. I really don't want to do that and I think this is all brought on by stress as it's been a bad few months for us. Are there any herbs that can help lower blood pressure?

Tecca_Nina

According to things that I have read, garlic, cinnamon, onions, olives, oregano, hawthorn and cardamom should all in theory lower your blood pressure. Try some of them out and see if it works. If it doesn't show any notable improvements though, I would suggest getting on the blood pressure medicine sooner than later to prevent anything from happening. But hopefully you can find a herb that works for you!

SEA81

Yes, don't screw around with your blood pressure. I'm going through this problem with my mom and she is learning the hard way that it's easier to control when you first find out than later... it can cause severe kidney damage and any other number of issues. I've read that cayenne pepper can help and some ambulance drivers even keep it on hand for heart/stroke victims. Good luck.

rayne

Tecca-Nina, do you know how much of these herbs one should take? Should they all be taken together or one at a time until I find one that works? I would like to go this route as well and get off some of my BP medicine.

Tecca_Nina

Mixing them together should be just fine. The only specifics of these I know in terms of what people were instructed to take to lower blood pressure are 1200mg of hawthorn extract, 3g of cardamom powder, 40 grams of olive oil, and 250mg of water soluble cinnamon (these were not taken together, they were all given in different experiments, and all of them worked individually.)

But again PLEASE be careful with your medicine as we don't want anything to happen to you.

Pat

I just went to the doctor and had higher than usual blood pressure. I will have to add some of these to my diet. To avoid needing medication. I usually add cinnamon to my coffee, that my not be enough.

shaunche

Stress is one of the main causes of high blood pressure. Focusing on lowering your stress levels will lower your blood pressure. Lots of herbs and spices can lower blood pressure, garlic and cinnamon especially.