Herbs for Your Period

SEA81

I've heard of so many people taking various herbs to regulate their periods. I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried this and what results they've had? What do you take and how often?

I've never heard of anything like this... do you mean herbs to keep you on a regular cycle like the birth control pills do?

HealthyS7

I haven't taken herbs for my period, but I do know that some of women take Ginger for their cramps. It alleviates the pain just like Midol and is all natural.

Lena51

My daughter has a hard time when she comes on her period also and I have been trying for years to see what will help her at that time of the month. I wish there was a cure somehow that would take care of the problem for the many women who suffer from this each and every month. Maybe trying Ginger would help and we will try that for the cramps to see id that will relax them rather than drugs.

I have never heard of any herbs that help with this. I would like to know as well. My sister suffers badly from cramps. It's so severe she gets prescription strength advil for pain.

Does anyone have an update on this?:confused:

AnonaMoss

Unfortunately, I haven't found any herbs that work for regulating. Perhaps you are stressed out and delaying your period. I took Evening Primrose oil capsules for my cycle and it really helped with cramps; my skin looked better too.

SoftRain

I have heard of people drinking red raspberry leaf tea (or taking capsules) and it's supposed to help the reproductive system in general. I drank it while pregnant and plan to drink it when my cycle resumes to see what it does.

Marina

Evening Primrose Oil and Red Raspberry Leaf tea are both good. When I make sure to supplement with Calcium and Magnesium I notice a difference, too.

emerald

I take cinnamon and raspberry. I also read that passionflorwer is good for that. I think if you mix all of this it would help tremendously. I often get lower abdominal pain and I believe it might be related to my intestines because I get it whenever I eat certain types of food (like seeds). I take cranberry capsules and it gets rid of the pain almost right away. Be sure that I'll remain loyal to cranberry pills until they don't exist.

wiredinsomniac

I take Vitex tincture and Evening Primrose oil. The Raspberry leaf tea did not work for me it made me cramp up bad I don't know why maybe because I am allergic to raspberries. It really has helped my PCOS.

Scarletpyxi

I have had severe pain with mine since I was 9 when I got it initially. Cramp bark tea is my remedy of choice, it effectively relieves the pain naturally, but it really tastes horribly bitter. I recommend adding honey and perhaps a regular bag of rooiboos or a berry tea to help improve the flavor.

As far as emmenagogues are concerned, (these are herbs that bring on periods) I know that celery seed, angelica, parsley, yarrow, feverfew, rosemary, sage, Queen Anne's Lace seeds, blue cohosh, black cohosh, mugwort, juniper, rue and Vitamin C work for this purpose.

I have been looking for remedies on this as well as I have been tired of taking pain killers each time that time of the month arrives! I heard berries are good though because they're amazing anti-oxidants. I'm going to try it this month and see what happens.

Carolynn

I have been doing some research on this very subject today and Evening Primrose oil, feverfew, kava, white willow bark, and valerian root were the herbs that came up the most frequently.

Hyacinth

I have always had a regular menstrual cycle. My major concern though is the pain that I suffer from during my period. I haven't tried taking any herbs, but I would like to try. I want to avoid popping pain reliever each time the discomfort strikes.