Heavy period

Lyra

My sister has a period so heavy it is crippling at times. The doctor tells her he doesn't know what to do for her and is recommending ablation. She is not done having kids, so she wants to avoid that. Any experience here with herbs that might address a heavy period?

hunysukle

I am very sorry that your sister is experiencing this. Fortunately, there are methods of treating heavy menstrual flow:

- drink extra fluid and eat food high in iron
- take 40 drops of the herb Agnus Castus every morning for several months to regulate hormonal imbalances that cause heavy bleeding.

PLEASE consider ALL of your options before doing something you'd regret FOR LIFE. There are usually natural alternatives that can prevent the need for permanent treatment, and not being able to have kids is something you can regret for life.

Sugarhill

Have they checked for fibroids? That is often a major cause for crippling pain during a cycle. She needs to request a transvirginal ultrasound to see what is going on. This could be remedied by the removal of the fibroids.

chabella

All Lady
The only time I ever had this issue is right before I found out I get random cysts that come to visit. I ended up switching my birth control (which means my monthly goes away), it might be something your sister can consider depending on what the doctor finds out. Get a checkup ASAP!

Lena51

I had heavy periods all my life and never knew what to do for them. And when I was in my forties, I had such heavy periods, I gotten weak and couldn't hardly walk. Then I had to have a hysterectomy, not what I wanted, but that's the only solution the doctors could come up with and I hated it, hated it. I also went to more than one doctor and they were repeating the same thing. I ask them about other things that I may be able to do and nothing. Why do they just want to butcher women I do not know, instead of trying to find another solution to the problem. But a woman has to get all the info. that she can to keep from getting cut by a knife. Ladies be very careful, get other opinions as well. The natural medicines works beat and we know it. So sorry to hear about your sis.

lovelikewinter3

I used to have brutal period pains, which thankfully changed after I had my child. Other than that, drinking A LOT of water and eating a lot of fibre (to avoid 'build-up' or the need to really push) helped, as did avoiding chocolate the week before it was due.

Another thing that helped was taking oral contraceptive pills (I took Alesse), I had virtually NO pain while menstruating on these pills.

SoftRain

She should get a second opinion to check for cysts or endometriosis, both of which can cause issues. If that is ruled out, have her try red raspberry leaf tea; it's supposed to be good for the female reproductive system. Birth control pills also help with heavy bleeding and period pain, but she'll have to weigh the implications of being on hormones.

HealthyS7

Does your sister have PCOS? She should get on birth control or see another doctor to rule out the possibility that she has PCOS.

Esperahol

When I have periods they are often quite heavy - like eight heavy-duty pads a day - I am also interested to hear what others have to say. That said I ain't looking to take birth control as I already have enough issues with circulation and cardiovascular health.

misumaru15

Has she tried some form up birth control to regulate her cycle? Also how in her exercise level? She can try doing exercise to help her in that regard also. I know how bad it can be. I used to flow so bad in high school I would be sick all week when my cycle came.

beckyv1265

Its possible she has fibroids or a horemonal imbalance. I would not recomend birth control pills if she is over 35. Many plants and herbs can help relieve symptoms. Look for ones that have anti-inflamatory characteristics. I would also eat vegies high in Iron and drink lots of water. I also have heavy menstral bleeding. Its a pain. I probably have fibroids. I havn't checked yet. My mother did . I think she had about 20. They can do vaginal hysterectomys now that are an easier recovery than the old abdominal surgery.

britwade

Vitamin A can help reduce heavy bleeding. A relative of mine had the same problem. I was put on iron pills for a while and it seemed like my periods became a lot lighter. I know a birth control pill isn't a herb but it does lighten your period and make your menstrual cycle regular in most people. So if she wants more children she could always get off the pill unless she is on it and it's not helping. Good luck to her.

Sugarhill

When I have periods they are often quite heavy - like eight heavy-duty pads a day - I am also interested to hear what others have to say. That said I ain't looking to take birth control as I already have enough issues with circulation and cardiovascular health.

Once again, I would suggest going to your doctor and asking about fibroids, an ultrasound and an additional TV ultrasound.

I had these before and my doctor told me it was normal for me. So I have to say it may just be the way her body is adjusting. I agree the ablation may not be the best option for her.

Lena51

This was a miserable time for me for sure and if I knew something that I could tell any women, I would. I use to use so many pads until I may as well had them delivered to my door. I was miserable, oh my, I was miserable. I wished I could have stayed home when I was in high school but that was unheard of not going to school unless they knew you were more than heavy periods. I am so glad those days are over with but not the way I wanted though.

Mrs. Rogers

Using a Mirena IUD (that has the hormones) could help lessen a period considerably. I had an ablation and I barely have a period at all.

Melissa

I don't really know any natural cures other than eating an iron rich diet and drinking lots of fluids, but when I was a teen and had heavy periods I was put on birth control and that helped a lot. Would she consider this? Its not exactly natural but it does help significantly and really don't have any side effects if you take the lowest dose.

Lyra

Thank you all for the support and encouragement. She has been to the doctor and none of the doctors she has seen has anything to offer her except the hormonal birth control, which she tried once (and, yes, she is over 35) or the ablation.

I will pass on these suggestions to her!

KerryME

Since having my second child when I was 40 I have issues with heavy bleeding. The fatigue is crippling, but luckily I don't have pain. I also cannot take birth control. I took Black Cohosh for a little while thinking I may be premenopausal, but that did nothing. I find that if I take an iron supplement and an extra B supplement only during my period it helps a little. I can't do raspberry tea because I despise the taste of raspberry. If you find any other suggestions I am open to trying new things!

aphil

My past experience with heavy periods was relieved using herbs that helped to clean my liver; dandelion, licorice, burdock, and herbs that helped to balance my female hormones -estrogen and progesterone-; wild yam, red raspberry, suma, dong quai. Every woman's experience is different, but a thorough blood test will tell her her blood nutrient level and hormone levels. She may need more iron and b12 or more or less of one hormone.
I actually had to be rushed to hospital because the bleeding was so bad and the herbs that stopped the flow wer white oak bark and witch hazel tincture.