Heavy metals in their water supply

Irma

My neighbor and two of her daughters all developed rheumatoid arthritis within a year. They suspect heavy metals in their water supply, which is a well. Have you ever heard of anything like this?

There still hasn't been a known cause for rheumatoid arthritis. The teachings in our school say that it is an autoimmune condition. This is an interesting case. Do you have relatives who have RA, too? I haven't learned about certain harmful metals that can cause RA but they COULD be.

peacenik

Who are "they"? You mean the neighbors, or their doctors? That makes a big difference on just how credible this idea may be. I've always understood there to be a large genetic element to RA but other than that indication, they still haven't figured out what actually causes this, to my knowledge.

lettuce

No, I've never heard of bad water giving people arthritis. It would probably be best to get them off the well system if possible, though.

shaunche

I have never heard of anything like this. I know about the dangers of accumulating heavy metals in the body, but this sounds like an extreme case. Which heavy metals were found and what levels?

AnonaMoss

If this is true it seems that they could have a lawsuit on their hands. Regardless of the cause, it's very unfortunate that they were diagnosed with arthritis. I don't understand why we have heavy metals in the water.

I know heavy metals can occur in the water supply, but if they have the well tested it should detect this. So they may want to have the water tested. Then they can know if this is present in safe levels or not.

chabella

All Lady
Metals can do all sorts of nasty things, we actually do not have well water but we still double filter it just in case. Our aunt has well water and she had no idea what could come from it until someone came out to inspect their area when she bought the farm.