Has Anyone Heard Of This?

enthusiast

A neighbor was telling me about someone who gives what I'll call a turpentine/sea salt treatment that cleans the body of impurities and disease. Supposedly, it's worked for a woman with arthritis who could hardly get around, a man who belched a lot, and others. The procedure is to take a teaspoon of turpentine (I know, sounds gross) and then put your feet in sea salt water. I guess the turpentine pulls the water through your body. Has anyone heard of it?

Walter

I wouldn't try that either, that sounds like too much for me. Turpentine is not only gross to take, I believe it will also harm your body. It's poisonous, right?

wanderingherb

Well, I usually try not to comment on modalities i don't agree with, but this is not a modality. Its plain rubbish and quackery.

enthusiast

I told my neighbor that there's no way that would work and turpentine is poisonous, but she insisted she knew people that it worked for. I wonder why she did that when she's always been honest with me, or at least I thought she was.

Celia

Isn't turpentine toxic? I mean like even to breathe in the fumes much less to ingest it into your body. It's amazing the things that people will try.

NLMomma

Yea I'm not going to do that either! There are many more options to remove toxins, than to ingest poison. ;) I'd leave that one alone.

Joyce

I have an aunt that uses turpentine as one would use, say hydrogen peroxide and has for years, so I could see some people doing this, as to the effectiveness, I have no idea!

CrunchyMama

I wonder if they got it backward? Perhaps it's to take a tablespoon of sea salt and soak your feet in a turpentine solution? That makes a TINY bit more sense, but still doesn't sound useful.

Walter

LOL CM that sounds like a better idea. But I don't think it would try it. There are many better alternatives to detoxing your body. Fasting is one of my favorite.

wanderingherb

The only thing of this all that makes sense is soaking feet in mild mixture of sea salt and epsom salt. turpentine NO. What has happened is we are coming out of an age of "old wives tales" which some are very helpful and some are incredibly should not do.

Your friend may have did it without being honest with you because she had her mind made up and didn't want to hear what you had to say against it. This is not your problem. She has the right to make her choice. You did the right thing by expressing your concern. Just leave it as such.

enthusiast

I just talked to my neighbor again and she insists that people really are helped with what we are talking about, but taking turpentine is not necessary. If it wasn't for knowing the neighbor well, I would blow this off as an old wives' tale, but I do know her well. There's NO WAY I would do it with the turpentine, but now I'm going to try it. As I see it, I have nothing to lose, except for $25.00, 30 minutes and two RA drugs that I absolutely hate to take. I'll let you know how it goes!

Nature

Chillin Under SummerLight
this reminds me about what women use to do waaaaaaaaaay back when they use to use atropa belladonna tincture and put drops in there eyes to make them more beautiful, buuuuuut it wasn't so good cause they would hallucinate and some died. so over all i think the turpentine idea isn't very smart, after all it's NOT MENT TO BE CONSUMED, remember the pictures on the bottle with the skull and cross bones yea thats not a good sign, i can assume not many people use this as an alternative.

wanderingherb

remember the pictures on the bottle with the skull and cross bones yea thats not a good sign, i can assume not many people use this as an alternative.
Yep there is a reason. I think its dangerous and can actually cause serious harm, but to each their own. Everyone has the right to choose.

Nature

Chillin Under SummerLight
true but it isn't very smart if it doesn't produce any results and does just the opposite.

enthusiast

I wouldn't even think of trying this if I had to take turpentine. There's NO WAY, but all I'm doing is the sea salt part. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

unhealthy

Learn something new every day. I looked it up and a mixture of turpentine and sea salt takes care of yellow stains on enamel tubs (not teeth!)

Mixing it together in a bathtub fixes the tub, not the person. Maybe she just got her 'recipes' made up. Try telling her that clorox works good at whitening your teeth and see what she says.

enthusiast

Does anyone drink soft drinks? Are you aware that some police carry a bottle in their cars to remove blood from roads when there are accidents, or so I read. Still, I have to admit that putting your feet in some machine with sea salt water (with or without downing a quarter teaspoon of turpentine) sounds like what it probably is: a backwoods hillbilly folk remedy. Would it make a difference if I called it "Ionic Foot Detoxification?"