Happiest Cities Have the Most Cyclists

beckyv1265

I wouldn't say that a bike or riding a bike equals happiness. I never ride a bike and I am a pretty happy person. I think that hapiness comes from within.

artistry

I think as someone else said abve, the exercise of riding the bicycle helps to stimulate the body, and the fresh air helps the brain. The two together make you feel good. I think biking is a great way to travel short distances.

Esperahol

But if you never ride a bike how do you know it doesn't equal happiness? o_O

For me, the happiest cities have a lot of beautiful women, warm temperatures and free pizza.
I'm going to need you to stop reading my mind Sifu... I mean why am I buying all this tinfoil if you're just going to do these kinds of things.

thatgirl

As has been said and will be said again: correlation is not causation. Bikes are probably not making these cities super happy, but they are a part of what makes them happy. The important question is - how big a part are they in making the cities happy?
I totally agree. News outlets are great at making sensational claims about studies like this. The researchers probably don't mean it to be taken as a direct link. The real value in this study, as well as others on factors contributing to happiness, is that it's useful in identifying trends. I would be more interested in the result of a meta-survey of sorts, that looks at the results from several similar studies.

But if you never ride a bike how do you know it doesn't equal happiness? o_O

For me, the happiest cities have a lot of beautiful women, warm temperatures and free pizza.
Of course, research has shown that having lots of cyclists in a city causes the women to be prettier, the temperature to be milder, and the store owners to be more generous.

Jessi

I wonder if it's more to do with the weather and accessibility. I mean, if a place has amazing weather, then they'd be able to cycle. If they have amazing weather, they're probably happier in general anyway. I'm not sure it's a cause/effect situation.

I recently moved from one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the USA to one that is not bicycle friendly at all. I can tell you, it's a bummer, no scientific study needed. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but bicycling with designated lanes and nice quiet paths through parks makes the urban experience much nicer.

SifuPhil

I wonder if it's more to do with the weather and accessibility. I mean, if a place has amazing weather, then they'd be able to cycle. If they have amazing weather, they're probably happier in general anyway. I'm not sure it's a cause/effect situation.
That's a good point, because when I used to cycle here in the PA winters with my fingers without sensation and the nose drool frozen to my mustache it wasn't exactly what I would term "happy".

"Invalid", perhaps ... "gross" certainly, but "happy"? Not quite.

Esperahol said:
I'm going to need you to stop reading my mind Sifu... I mean why am I buying all this tinfoil if you're just going to do these kinds of things.
I knew you were going to say that ...

classicnyer said:
Of course, research has shown that having lots of cyclists in a city causes the women to be prettier, the temperature to be milder, and the store owners to be more generous.
Hmmm ... Beijing has a ton of cyclists. The women for the most part are OK, but the weather gets pretty nasty at times and the merchants charged me for every grain of rice.

Esperahol

I totally agree. News outlets are great at making sensational claims about studies like this. The researchers probably don't mean it to be taken as a direct link. The real value in this study, as well as others on factors contributing to happiness, is that it's useful in identifying trends. I would be more interested in the result of a meta-survey of sorts, that looks at the results from several similar studies.
A meta-survey would be nice as it would definitely give a more complete view of the situation. I mean look overseas where there is a lot of biking and you aren't likely to see this pop up. Beijing is not a very happy-shiny sort of place. Calcutta and New Delhi aren't the happiest places on earth...etc.