Hair Care

Greenwoman

I'm going to be honest, for the longest, I did not take very good care of my hair. So, it stands to reason that I would be a bit daft and new to proper hair care. With that being said, does anyone know of the proper maintenance and care for hair that has been flat ironed?

Primrose

First thing is to go to your local salon, get a trim and assess the situation. If you've been flat ironing, you probably have some dead ends that need attention. Unless you have really oily hair, you will probably need some moisturizing shampoo.

Greenwoman

I see. Well, I have actually developed my own hair care regimen, and I've trimmed my ends already as well. I have been curling my hair lately instead, but my new growth as made it very difficult to comb, so I straightened it. I used coconut oil and jojoba oil as a sealant. I am just wondering if there is anything else I should do to it in terms of moisturizing and the like.

chabella

All Lady
That is one thing I have never done to my hair, but I have attempted a perm (twice). Neither took and I gave up. I seldom do my hair up anymore so I might have used a curling iron a dozen times in my life. I heard that steam rollers are better, is that true or will that damage your hair as well? I always go in for a cut and they tell me my hair is amazing but to me it's dull.

Greenwoman

I was actually referring to a relaxer. My mother has always called it a perm, and that term seems to have stuck.

In any case, I think that all heat styling tools have the potential to cause damage to the hair if you don't care for your hair properly. For example, if you curl your hair with a curling iron without using a heat protectant, you will most likely cause heat damage to your hair.

Hyacinth

I seldom use curling or flat iron. When I do so, it is because I have to look my best for a party or a formal event. About damaged hair due to heat styling, getting a hot oil treatment might help.

Greenwoman

Yes, I have heard about that, and I used it when I was straightening my hair. If I recall correctly, shea butter and castor oil are great for helping to prevent hair damage from using heat styling tools.

Carol Kenny

I am prone to experiment with my hairstyles using hair colors, hair accessories and hair extensions. Using all these I also keep my natural hair nourished using oil and vinegar once a week.