Grilling and cancer

Valerienne

I've read recently that grilling, as well as broiling and frying meat in very high temperature, causes creation of compounds that some studies link to production of tumor cells in the colon, breasts and prostate. Although, doctors say that the risk of cancer from ingesting those substances is less than what you'd get from being 30 pounds overweight. Also, trimming off fat before putting meat on the grill reduces those risks further.

Primrose

I have read a similar study Valerienne. I thought it interesting that the risk is less than, as you say, being 30 pounds overweight. This study also said that breathing the emissions from grilling also contibute to the risk of cancer. I think I'll just continue to grill out and enjoy. How about you?

Valerienne

Haha, me too. I don't really get a lot of grilling per year, and I'm also very careful with intense frying, so I think I'm good on this front. I'm hoping all that tea I drink will help me even out those tiny potentially cancerogenic factors like inhaling smoke from the grill ;)

Luvkenny

I grill out all the time and I've never heard of this. One day it is one thing that causes cancer and the next it's something else. I am not going to stop grilling or eating grilled food. I just don't believe it.

Hyacinth

I have heard and read articles about this before. The opinions differ though. Some say that grilling can indeed cause cancer while others believe that the chance of developing cancer from consuming grilled food is actually slim.