Goats

dirtnut

We had a goat die a few years ago and we never found out why. We have thought about getting another one and I have read a few things about having them eat baking soda with their food. Is there any other alternative to baking soda?

CactusJill

We have raised Boer goats for the last few years. I have never heard of feeding goats baking soda and would be concerned that it might cause them to be terribly bloated. The main thing to do is to feed them grain, hay, and let them graze grass too. Sometimes if they eat the grass down to the dirt level, they can get a bacteria that will kill them quickly. Just watch that they don't eat the grass down this low and move them from time to time to prevent it.

smellsrfun

Baking soda? I've never heard of feeding that to any animal? I wonder where you heard that? Did you see it somewhere on the internet? I would love to have a link so I could read it?

chabella

All Lady
I would get a goat (someones gotta cut the grass right) but we do not have a fully fenced in area and I could just see the darn thing getting lost and then I have to explain to neighbors why there is a goat running around our small town.