Getting into the Herbalist lifestyle

SirMathias007

Hello, I'm new here and have some questions I would like to ask.

Herbalism (Is that a word?) is very new to me, but I like the idea of it. I've always had a love for nature and plants. When I was in high school I got a book for Christmas about wild edibles, saying what plants that grew wild were edible, how to eat them, and what benefits they had. I loved this book, read it inside and out multiple times and shared the knowledge I learned. So I know this kind of stuff interest me. I'm a 23 year old guy who is still living at home (It's so expensive to move out! But in the near future hopefully!) and did not finish college. I got through three years of college for a wildlife and fisheries science major, but the math whooped me and my GPA dropped the third year. I didn't quite like the fisheries path I was taking so I decided I'd take a break from college to figure things out. One class I loved and did well in was botany.

So what am I asking? Well recently noticing I had this interest I want to dabble in the Herbalist lifestyle a bit, get a feel for it. As I said I'm figuring things out right now and I think that if I dabble a bit in certain interest of mine that one of them might stick. I want to know where I start learning Herbalism. I'm not jumping all the way into it yet, I just want to experience it to see if it is something I may want to do in the future. I don't know much about it though. I want to learn about plants and herbs, their uses for other people. I want to be able to look at a bunch of plants, combine them and make something that will help others with their problems. I want to know the benefits and risks of certain plants, and so on. Are Herbalist jobs good? What are they exactly? Like doctors? Do they have stores to sell things they created? Do you go to school for it? Are you taught by being an apprentice? How do you find herbalist in your area? How stable are they economically? If I don't get a Herbalist career, what do hobby Herbalist do? See lots of questions, so many I don't even know where to start.

Herb

New here too, been studying about herbs on my own for about 3 years now reading anyting I can find on the web, a few books and e-books. I have been making my own herbal tea blends and now I am working on making salves for pain releaf.

Look in your area for herb shops, that sell bulk goods. Not supplement stores. Also ask the shop if they know of any classes you can attend, from there you can talk to people who are doing it.