Garlic

Does anyone here grow garlic? I have heard it can be difficult to get it to grow. We use a lot of garlic in my household and I would love to be able to just grow it and have it on hand. Also can you tell me what kind you are growing? Thanks!

peacenik

I haven't attempted it yet because I heard that it was very difficult to grow, as well. I would love to be able to grow my own but for now I'll content myself with the few pots of herbs I've started on my kitchen windowsill.

DixieMarie

I've grown several kinds of Herbs but haven't attempted Garlic as yet. I know someone who does this and has had good luck doing it. She usually gives me some when it's ready to be picked. :)

shaunche

My parents grow garlic, I'm not sure what type of garlic they are growing, though. The garlic is planted in large pots in rich soil. We will have to wait a few months to see if the garlic grows. I hope it does because I love garlic!

I've never grown garlic before, and I also haven't heard anything about it being hard to grow. Why is it said to be difficult to grow? Is it a high-maintenance plant?

xenon

Does anyone here grow garlic? I have heard it can be difficult to get it to grow. We use a lot of garlic in my household and I would love to be able to just grow it and have it on hand. Also can you tell me what kind you are growing? Thanks!
I've been growing garlic for 22years. Garlic likes to have a chill period before it sprouts. If you live in a warm climate try putting the garlic in the refrigerator for a day or two. Plant rows (I dig continuous trenches 4-6inches deep) at 1 foot apart and in those rows 4-6inches apart. If you grow close you will need to ensure plenty of plant food either rich compost or palletized manures. Too much can also be not good as this promotes more stem growth. You would also need to lime your soil preferably before planting but after is okay. The lime can react too much with the fertilizer and reduce its potency. There're garlic disease you need to watch out for. Maybe I should start a thread about that.

dissn_it

Thanks for the information, xenon! I have also never tried to grow my own garlic but it sounds like I should be able to do it. The process sounds very similar to how I grow my onions, except I have never had to add lime to the soil before.

Thanks Xenon! That was very helpful information. I think we need to start a thread for tips on growing herbs. I am sure we will get all kinds of wonderful tips from people who have been growing herbs for a long time.