Gargle with what??

Luvkenny

I have been waking up with the worse sore throat. It's not just my throat though, it is also sore at the back of the top of my mouth. It hurts to swallow! I know someone once said you should gargle with something and this will help your throat. Anyone have any tricks or tips for me? I'm tired of taking medicine for it and I don't want to go to the doctors.

SoftRain

You can gargle with salt water. It tastes gross, of course, but it is supposed to help. You could also try a mixture of hydrogen peroxide with water. I hope you feel better soon.

Lilly

Warm salt water might help, and you can boil some water and let some raw garlic steep in it. When it cools off you can gargle with that. Garlic is like a natural antibiotic and it coats your throat. It doesn't taste great, but it clears up an infection quickly.

StarGazer

Gargling with warm salt water couldn't hurt. Another thing that is soothing would be hot tea with honey. The honey coats the throat. You really should investigate why you're getting the sore throats, though, and take care of the underlying issue. This time of year, the culprit is often allergies.

chabella

All Lady
I have to gargle with salt water right now after the dental work I had completed last week. I still have no idea why I did not get my wisdom teeth out sooner, it is taking forever for them to heal but the rinse does help to calm them down a little.

Aconite

Yes, warm salty water is one of the best ways to clean, disinfect, and heal. You can also add a little peroxide to the mix as well. I don't like using chemical mouthwash so I stopped using that crap years ago. Besides gargling with alcohol has proven to give you cancer, they released new information on this a few months back.

Luvkenny

I am going to try this tonight. I am much worse now. It seems to have turned into a full fledge sickness. I bought Alka Seltzer Plus Cold today on lunch. I hope gargling and this medicine will knock it out of me quick.

chabella

All Lady
Are you sure it is a cold rather than allergies? You could do the salt water rinse (a few times a day) along with a sinus rinse that might help too.

Lilly

I don't know about where you are but around here there is some really nasty sinus gunk spreading. It starts out as a virus and before you can get rid of it, it goes bacterial on you. The doctors offices here are full of people with the exact same symptoms, and it takes months to get rid of. My hubby and I are going on two months now and still struggling to get the last of the gunk out of our lungs. My kids have just now started with sneezing and fevers, which is how our original problem started! o_O

Cassia

I also have to say that you should try gargling with warm salt water. It's what my elders always say. When I have a sore throat, I also drink ginger tea with honey. To me, it gives a soothing effect.