Fibromyalgia

GardenSue

I know that doctors will send patients with fibromyalgia to therapy and it seems to help. Does anyone know of any exercises other than swimming that helps with this?

Heaven Scent

I'll second the Tai-Chi!

My mum has it and this is the best remedy she's found. It can be done at home as and when needed - as soon as she feels a "Flair-up" coming she'll do some movements to help relax and it works nearly everytime.

CrystalHugger

Tai Chi and aerobic water exercise are the best things you can do for fibromyalgia. Meditation helps me quite a bit too. It relaxes every muscle if you do it right and helps things to calm down for hours afterward.

amelia

I think this is related to the comments regarding Tai Chi, (which I'll second): Qi Gong has been very helpful as well, and the further you progress with your awareness of your physical energy, the more effective it becomes.

cbm87

Wow! Seems like everybody mentioned Tai Chi, which I also agree to. Other than that, low impact exercises, such as walking and swimming, which you already mentioned, are good for muscle pains, too.
The breathing and stretching exercises done in Yoga are also said to be very effective.
Pilates is an excellent exercise regimen specially if you have lower back pain.
Stretching is probably the simplest among these exercises, but they're actually very much effective. Stretching improves your muscle and joint circulation, so you know it's good for you.

We often advise our patients with fibromyalgia to do some swimming and yoga exercises. We seldom mention Tai Chi. But because of this forum, I think it deserves to be promoted to our patients also. :)

Pat

My clients mentioned yoga as a good exercise to help relieve the aches and pains that they suffered in the joints. As mentioned walking is a good activity even when not in pain.

SifuPhil

Add one vote for Taijiquan and Qigong, and no, I'm not just trying to stir up some business! :D

I've had many students present with fibromyalgia and gain benefits from the practices. ROM of some exercises may have to be modified to accommodate some conditions but overall it's an excellent modality.

shaunche

Low-impact exercise which will not place too much stress on your body. Cycling and yoga would be good for someone suffering from fibromyalgia.

wanderingherb

We often advise our patients with fibromyalgia to do some swimming and yoga exercises. We seldom mention Tai Chi. But because of this forum, I think it deserves to be promoted to our patients also. :)
The reason for this is some individuals with Rheumatic disorder will lose circulation if in one spot for too long. It can cause pain, then the focus is gone. It then begins to defeat the purpose. Tai Chi on the other hand, or another like this, encourages concentration and movement never holding for too long in one position. It promotes full body circulation. Kind of the whole package deal! BUT, no everyone is the same.

My best friend has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and she is in constant pain all the time. I feel so bad for her. She has been trying different techniques but says that nothing helps. I am thankful for the tips that many people have posted. I will let her know of these tips and hope they work for her!

dziomek

I was told by my chiropractor several years ago I had Fibromyalgia. I fought it for the longest time, but am beginning to think he was right. I have days where my energy level is low and I hurt everywhere. I used to do Yoga (with the guidance of my Wii) and it helped with mobility and back pain. I dislocated my shoulder 6 months ago and haven't gone back to my Yoga routine, which I am regretting.

Jesi

I know that doctors will send patients with fibromyalgia to therapy and it seems to help. Does anyone know of any exercises other than swimming that helps with this?
Fibromyalgia is not a specific disorder. Two people who are said to have it may actually have two separate things all together. Think of it as a grouping of certain symptoms of mysterious cause. So the word by it self really doesn't tell us much about what is going on insider your body.

So there are really three things we can do here:

I) treat the symptoms

2) empower our body to do what it should.

3) Use various practices such as Reiki, acupressure/puncture and other energy work to harmonize the energy pathways of the body and to allocate said energy to apparent trouble areas.

The third reason is why Tai Chi, Qi Gong and so forth is effective (other than a good stretch)- over here they are watered down but in the East the various positions or mudras are understood to attune the practitioner to various states of mind and energetic channels. The same goes for Yoga and of course meditation can be seen as an internal Yoga just as all these previous systems are an external meditation.

The same goes for Wicca and other paths that use ceremonial magic(k). Every gesture or act done in circle is an externalization of an inner process. Thus the practice can be considered both an internal and external meditation.

I would recommend "The Middle Pillar Ritual" which will build-up and harmonize your energy body and aura.