Fiber

Pinkle

I've had some back issues lately (Sciatica) that have caused me to need prescription pain pills. Well, I don't know if you guys are aware of this or not, but when you take narcotic pain pills, many times you'll get constipated. This happened to me last night and I was in awful pain for about 5 hours because of it. I definitely don't want to go through this again, so I'm going to start increasing my fiber intake. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to do that? Should I take a fiber supplement?

Primrose

You don't mention how much water you are drinking Pinkle but I find that always helps me. Add a few sweet potatoes and you're sure to go. I think water is the key though.

Lyra

I second upping your water intake. Another food that has more fiber than you would guess is strawberries. And then there is that old standby, prunes. Good luck!

Pinkle

You don't mention how much water you are drinking Pinkle but I find that always helps me. Add a few sweet potatoes and you're sure to go. I think water is the key though.
Well, I'm already drinking more than enough water everyday, and I know that because I keep count of how many 500 mL water bottles I go through each day. Sweet potatoes sound good though, especially baked and topped with a bit of cinnamon and brown sugar!

chabella

All Lady
How did you find out that you had Sciatica? I have heard a few friends of mine mention it before and I know I have back issues but I am not sure what it is from.

Pinkle

How did you find out that you had Sciatica? I have heard a few friends of mine mention it before and I know I have back issues but I am not sure what it is from.
I went to the doctor and it was his diagnosis, based mostly on the fact that the pain radiates. He said the Sciatica could be caused by a myriad of things, including an inflamed muscle that is putting pressure on the Sciatic nerve, or something more serious like a herniated disc. I don't have insurance or cash for an MRI though, so he didn't investigate further and just wrote me a bunch of prescriptions.

Cassia

Try to have whole grain products everyday. They are a good source of dietary fiber. Eat more fruits, too. Berries (raspberry, blackberry, strawberry) top the list of fiber-rich fruits.