Fermented Foods

SoftRain

A friend of mine is really getting into fermented foods of various types because she says they are healthier and allow for better nutrient absorption. What do you think of fermented foods?

freshfoodie

What exactly do you mean by fermented foods? I use Amish bread starter in a lot of things from pancakes to bread and that is fermented. I don't know about the nutritional value of fermented versus unfermented though.

rayne

I do know that fermented foods make for good laxatives. I prepared some corn for the grill last weekend and didn't know that it had been sitting in the produce stand just a little too long. It tasted great and we ate it all but let me tell you, it was an enlightening experience. :)

Primrose

When I think of fermented food, I think of sauerkraut. The more I read about it, the more I understand things like this are good for you. There must be some kinds of enzymes in fermented food that aid digestion.

SoftRain

I'm not really sure what all the fermented foods are. Sauerkraut was my first thought too, but surely more fruits and vegetables can be fermented.

StarGazer

Most fermented foods tend to be accompaniments to meals, like pickled vegetables or the Korean kimchi. That's all you need is a bit to help aid in digestion and provide the good bacteria we need. Pickles and pickled veggies that you buy on the store shelves are not truly fermented, though.