Feral cat losing hair?

I'm feeding some feral cats that live on the woodsy property behind our house and a couple of them seem to be losing their hair in spots. I'm wondering if there is something that I can do to help them out? The Vets is out of the question.

xtinguish

This is pretty interesting because my family is currently feeding two feral cats, one being the mom and one the baby. We haven't seen any baldness occurring but I guess it's something to look out for. Do they run as soon as you open the door?

shaunche

Cats losing hair in patches is a clear sign of disease. Some of the foxes where I live have hair loss in patches and many of the foxes die if they are not treated for the disease. There is not much you can do if the Vets is not an option.

dissn_it

It could be due to so many different possibilites that a vet may be the only way to know for certain what is causing the hair loss. Because they are feral cats, I would not try to catch and cage them because they would probably bite and scratch you.
I think if they get worse, you could call the vet. Maybe describing to the vet in detail, where and how much hair loss the cats have, they might be able to guess what the cause is for you.

It could be from multiple factors. One could be fighting between the cats, the other could be the cats have mange or something like that which can cause them to lose their fur. Hopefully it is not this issue, but it is a possibility.

EthanWang

Hair loss in cats is often called alopecia. It can be caused by various factors and some of them are very dangerous. One of the most serious possibility is that your cat is exposed to flea and all you need to do is use steroids or antihistamines as they can treat the inflammation caused by fleabites. If its not right, please come back to the Vet ( or another Pet center) to have a full test for your cat. Hope this helped !