FDA Will Ban Trans Fats

SoftRain

It's about time! The FDA will finally ban trans fats, although the time table is not yet decided. Trans fats are so incredibly bad for people that I'm surprised it's taken this long for the FDA to address the issue.

Aconite

I agree with you. The only reason they are doing it is because they've been under the gun for the last few years for approving drugs that are causing some severe side effects and even death. This trans fats problem we have all known for years. I say, stick to natural healthy fats and oils and you shouldn't have these artery clogging problems.

freshfoodie

I am happy too, even though I don't eat any of the foods that contain trans fats. I wonder how this will affect the sale of all those junk foods that contain trans fats? I also fear that the food industry will come up with something even worse to replace it.

Lyra

I am happy too, even though I don't eat any of the foods that contain trans fats. I wonder how this will affect the sale of all those junk foods that contain trans fats? I also fear that the food industry will come up with something even worse to replace it.
You make a great point, freshfoodie. There is no way the food industry will simply take a huge loss like this without response. They can't afford to pull all those foods off the shelf.

I am not thrilled about a lot of government regulation, on the other hand. I will have to look at more information.

SoftRain

That is why there is no definite time table yet. The FDA said it wants companies and restaurants to have time to alter their recipes without creating a huge economic impact.

StarGazer

I'm afraid that without a definite time table, there are many companies that will just keep doing what they're doing. A lot of them won't bother to do anything different without some sort of hammer perched over their head to get it done.

lolli

Can we list some foods her that have this fat in them? I'm sure I do eat some as I love junk food. Something will give though. Companies will have time to change the recipes or something. I can't imagine stopping something and all these companies going out of business.

armyswat

Don't trust anything from the FDA, they approved many dangerous stuff, but never approve natural stuff that works.
They probably ban trans fats for the worse for people.