Fast food salad

jason

Have a great day
So my parents came back from a cruise. They had mentioned they watched a guy who did a nutrition information show. They said that they soak salad greens in sugar water to get people hooked on eating the salads at fast food places. If true, it is pretty amazing, and no wonder so many people say the salads there are just as unhealthy as the burgers.

xtina3907

On dietfacts.com, you can look up the the calories, fat, carbs etc in many fast food salads. The salads are just as fattening as a greasy burger. Every restaurant needs a healthy menu. This is why my family and I don't eat out that much! It is so bad for you!

hunysukle

I've never cared for the taste of salads of fast food restaurants. The lettuce sometimes tastes funny, plus salads are over-priced. Salads aren't really a specialty at fast food places.

siddh

I never knew that salads can be so unhealthy too. But it is a fact that these fast food people will throw anything to their customers to make good money. It is now scientifically proven that junk food is dangerous for health. They contain harmful cholesterol and trans fat that makes you bulky and this type of fat can not be burnt through exercise easily.So watch out.

Carolynn

I would not find this suprising at all. There have been many studies about how carbs and junk food are addicting to us. I have never tried a fast food salad because they are always so overpriced!

Jessi

Wow, really?

It really doesn't surprise me any, but it obviously doesn't thrill me either. Why do our greens need to be sugared?? I could understand making the salad dressing worse because people love very rich dressings, but the greens themselves? Gah!

Parker

So my parents came back from a cruise. They had mentioned they watched a guy who did a nutrition information show. They said that they soak salad greens in sugar water to get people hooked on eating the salads at fast food places. If true, it is pretty amazing, and no wonder so many people say the salads there are just as unhealthy as the burgers.
I am always amazed at the extremes some people take to make money. This is just absolutely crazy! Do you know which fast food restaurants? The salad itself isn't unhealthy, it's the ladels of salad dressing that poured on the salad that's causing the problem.

I love McDonald's southwestern salad. It's delicious. I do control the amount of salad dressing I use. I dip my fork into the salad dressing before I pick up a mouthful of salad. This control the amount of dressing I eat. I learned this trick from Weight Watcher's many years ago.

lettuce

I'm sure this isn't the case everywhere. Usually it's the toppings that you add to salads that make them unhealthy (croutons, bacon bits, dressing, etc.). Make smarter choices, and a salad fix at a fast food joint can still be a good pick.

chabella

All Lady
I have never eaten one honestly, unless you could Subway and that was years ago back before I started working out. I would stalk the person making the salad like a hawk and always add extra ham and cheese (totally not healthy, which lead to the working out now).

redearth

Wow, Sugar water? If that is true, all of that sugar water is a waste. Fast food salads are always heavy on iceberg (no nutrition) & shredded processed cheese and light on anything that would actually be good for you. Just say no. Make a salad at home.

amy71219

I've tried to find anything on the internet that talks about this and I haven't found this stated on any website. Salads can be unhealthy due to salad dressing, cheese and the type of meat (like fried) put on salad. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found whether this is true or not.

Long ago I used to have lunch at a fast food outlet. They had a salad bar. Self-service. You can put as much as you can into the bowl they give to you. I think it was about 1usd per bowl.

freshfoodie

I only eat a salad at McDonald's every once and awhile and I only get the side salad. It only has vegetables-no meat or cheese- and is amde with a Spring Mix not iceberg. I use a vinaigrette on it. I have never heard the sugar water story before but it would not surprise me, I suppose.

Parker

I've tried to find anything on the internet that talks about this and I haven't found this stated on any website. Salads can be unhealthy due to salad dressing, cheese and the type of meat (like fried) put on salad. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found whether this is true or not.
I haven't found anything about this either. If true, I wonder which fast food places use this technique.

janayc

Salad is too bland to satisfy my taste buds. Therefore, since they're just as bad as burgers, I pick the burger instead, knowing it'll satisfy me better.

Salad is too bland to satisfy my taste buds. Therefore, since they're just as bad as burgers, I pick the burger instead, knowing it'll satisfy me better.
You mean fast food salads are too bland, and I completely agree with you. I prefer to make my own salads, because they come out much more flavorful and colorful. I usually use some combination of spinach and arugula leaves and then add things like chicken, blueberries, red peppers, avocado, etc. Try that one time and you'll laugh at fast food salads.

Trudy

I believe a fast food place is making a promise to its customer when it advertises its offerings. When they do these underhanded things, they are betraying the hands that feed them. When trust fails, the relationship ends. If I knew a restaurant were adding sugar to my lettuce, I'd be keeping my own lettuce in my pocket from now on.

Myrrh

I think we always have this impression that salad is always healthy, but it is not really the case. It depends on what you put in your salad. Bacon and other meats or the dressing can ruin the supposed healthy nature of salads.

jason

Have a great day

I've found that some will dip fries in sugar according to this site 30 Scary Food facts you need to Know | Forensic Science Technician : Online Schools Guide So I'm wondering if they maybe got the two confused.

Here shows you just how unhealthy the fast food salads can be, including them having more sugar then other items. The Myth Of Salads: Why Why Fast Food Salads Aren't Necessarily Going To Help You Lose Weight - The Consumerist

Parker

I've found that some will dip fries in sugar according to this site 30 Scary Food facts you need to Know | Forensic Science Technician : Online Schools Guide So I'm wondering if they maybe got the two confused.
I wish I could like this post!

The first fact was the scariest:An average person’s yearly fast food intake will contain 12 pubic hairs:eek::eek:

Here shows you just how unhealthy the fast food salads can be, including them having more sugar then other items. The Myth Of Salads: Why Why Fast Food Salads Aren't Necessarily Going To Help You Lose Weight - The Consumerist
I think the comparisons are bit misleading, but still surprising. I am surprised at the sodium and sugar count in the salads. I would have never expected that. I wish they had compared salads that don't contained fried chicken strips. I supposed they used them because they might be more popular. Yet, it was definitely an eye opener.

I usually eat a grilled chicken salad, but those days are over since I found out about the pubic hairs. Geez!