Facial Toner?

Aletha

I read something the other day about making a refreshing facial toner out of sage leaves and vodka. The vodka doesn't need to be the good stuff, basically just alcohol. From what I read, you just soak the sage leaves in the bottle and keep it in the fridge. Then when you want to use some, just use cotton balls and dab it on. I'm very tempted to try this.

shaunche

No need for that when you can use cold water. Cold water is the best natural toner. You can also rub an ice cube over the skin for a toning effect.

I personally don't follow the 'clean, tone, moisturise' regime. Your oil glands are the best natural moisturizer.

I don't know how I feel about using vodka as a toner. I would be too tempted to drink it, haha! I've heard of people using lemon juice as a toner, though.

Is there anything intrinsically wrong with witch hazel? I use that sometimes, but I'm a little iffy about it as well.

Melissa

Vodka is a skin toner?? Huh..who knew? Thats pretty awesome! I was going to say I use lemon juice but vodka sounds much more fun!!

Parker

Vodka as a skin toner seems pretty expensive. Witch Hazel is a natural astringent and can be used for many things including as a skin toner.

aphil

Why are you tempted to try it? What are the benefits of the sage and of the vodka that are appealing to you?
Also, Shaunche, why is cold water the best toner? I sometimes feel I have no oil glands because my skin is so dry.:eek:
I use witch hazel diluted with rose water. I also make a strong effort to drink plenty of water.

I'm not sure if Vodka is actually good for the skin due to its alcohol content. Half of me wants to try it and half of me is a little skeptic. I prefer Koji San's toner because I have never had any breakouts after using it so far.

pafjlh

Its funny I have heard that there are a whole lot of things that can be done with Vodka, but I haven't heard about using it for skin care. I do know that witch hazel is a good natural toner, I could also recommend using Aloe Vera gel. Aloe Vera is a great natural treatment for acne and nourishing the skin.

AnonaMoss

I have a lemon and witch hazel toner that I love. It's very gentle on my skin and it has a moisturizing effect rather than striping my skin like other toners. There is always oil on the cotton pad even when I've just finished washing my face.

Kaybee517

I've never heard of vodka as a toner however witch hazel works well for a toner. You can pick up a bottle at the discount store by the hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol for about $3 or at your local drug store.

I make my own toner by mixing together witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, green tea, and distilled water. It seems to be doing nice things to my skin. :)

Why are you tempted to try it? What are the benefits of the sage and of the vodka that are appealing to you?
Also, Shaunche, why is cold water the best toner? I sometimes feel I have no oil glands because my skin is so dry.:eek:
I use witch hazel diluted with rose water. I also make a strong effort to drink plenty of water.
If your skin is dry, then maybe witch hazel is not for you, since it's an astringent. Just plain rose water would be better. I use witch hazel because my skin is oily.

Carolynn

I wouldn't recommend anyone with dry skin using any kind of astringent. If you have dry skin you might actually want to try one of those deep cleansing oil treatments. I haven't tried them yet, but I have some free samples. If you want to try the vodka sage mixture though you can get a a fifth of cheap vodka for five or six dollars.

claudine

I would never put anything with alcohol on my skin. I'm sure I would be covered in pimples after trying this. I've heard that when you have oily skin you should avoid alcohol in cosmetics, because it will only make things worse. I also can't imagine using vodka on a dry skin.

aquafina

You should be able to use diluted apple cider vinegar. That is much cheaper and last longer than sage leaves and vinegar. Mix the water and apple cider vingear in a 1:1 ratio. I have used this in the past, and I had no issues.

You should be able to use diluted apple cider vinegar. That is much cheaper and last longer than sage leaves and vinegar. Mix the water and apple cider vingear in a 1:1 ratio. I have used this in the past, and I had no issues.
Theoretically you could soak the sage leaves in apple cider vinegar as well. That way, theoretically you'd also be getting the benefits of the sage... but what is the benefit of the sage?

aquafina

Theoretically you could soak the sage leaves in apple cider vinegar as well. That way, theoretically you'd also be getting the benefits of the sage... but what is the benefit of the sage?
I did not mean sage was in the ingredients of the apple cider vinegar toner. For the toner it is just white and apple cider vinegar. I was meaning that the ingredients to the apple cider vinegar was cheaper than vodka, and would last longer than the sage.

Aletha

Sage evidently is an astringent on it's own but will need something to use as the carrier. I've heard you can use sage as a cough syrup but I'm not sure what you would use as a carrier for it in that instance.

Hyacinth

I have experimented a lot on using various natural ingredients for my facial skin but I haven't tried vodka or any alcohol. I have no issues with sage leaves because they are herbs, but I wonder what makes vodka an effective toner.