Extreme loose stools when having period

lolli

Lately it never fails on day two of my period I have diarrhea. I usually have it most of the day and it really messes up my plans for the day. This has been happening for about the last five months. Is this normal? Should I talk to my doctor about it?

SoftRain

I tend to have diarrhea during my period too, but not to the point where it completely messes up my day. I take Immodium at the first sign of diarrhea though; I know it's not natural but that is one ailment I don't want to mess around with.

It wouldn't hurt to discuss it with your doctor, although he/she will probably advise you to try some home remedies or over the counter medication first.

Lyra

I have wondered if this issue is a result of hormones. Here is my thinking. Some women have diarrhea in early labor. Maybe the hormone that prods the uterus to begin contracting in earnest for labor and for menstruation is behind it. Is that a weird theory?

lolli

I am going to start taking something for it. The problem with that is it usually takes me three or four days to get back to "regular" after taking any anti-diarrhea medicine. I wonder if it is hormones!

SoftRain

I have wondered if this issue is a result of hormones. Here is my thinking. Some women have diarrhea in early labor. Maybe the hormone that prods the uterus to begin contracting in earnest for labor and for menstruation is behind it. Is that a weird theory?

No, actually that seems very plausible. I never made that connection before, but it makes sense to me. I wonder if they've done any studies on it.

aunaturel

It is from the hormones mainly. Most women would find a pattern that corresponds to their menstrual cycle if they tracked how easy or hard their bowel movements are over the course of a month.

Lyra

No, actually that seems very plausible. I never made that connection before, but it makes sense to me. I wonder if they've done any studies on it.
Actual research on stuff that only applies to the ladies? Now you are spinning fairy tales! Really, though, it is surprising to me how little we actually know about the female reproductive system.

Myrrh

I also tend to have loose stools during my period but not bad enough to disrupt my activities for the day. I just read that during menstruation, the uterus secretes compounds called prostaglandins which cause the uterus to contract in order for the uterine lining to shed. Sometimes there could be an excessive production of prostaglandins, and such may cause an increase in the motility of the digestive tract muscles hence the diarrhea.

freshfoodie

I have way more frequent bowel movements when I am on my period but not to the point of diarrhea. It doesn't really disrupt my daily activity either. I would take something for it if it was though.

Lyra

I also tend to have loose stools during my period but not bad enough to disrupt my activities for the day. I just read that during menstruation, the uterus secretes compounds called prostaglandins which cause the uterus to contract in order for the uterine lining to shed. Sometimes there could be an excessive production of prostaglandins, and such may cause an increase in the motility of the digestive tract muscles hence the diarrhea.
Well, there you go! Support for my theory. Prostaglandins are also behind the production of contractions during labor. So the same hormone is, indeed, to blame.