Excess insulin and inflammation

Hedda

When people talk of excess inflammation of the body, are they talking about the result of an excess of insulin floating around in your system from too much sugar and refined carbs?

wanderingherb

No not always. Inflammation is complicated but in simple terms: it is a response of our immune system. Many different types of inflammation exist. Can sugar and refined carbs aggravate existing inflammation conditions--oh yes. Is it the cause of inflammation, no. However if a person is prone to inflammation due to an illness, then many things in the diet can aggravate and set off a flair or a situation triggering inflammation. So it's best to stay away from those items if your particular situation is sensitive to them.

Wanderingherb

Hedda

Thanks for that explanation. How would a person really know if they are suffering from those various other types of inflammation that you refered to?

wanderingherb

Good question.

Okay, serious inflammation of say knees, fingers, joints, etc should be evaluated by a doctor to find out what is causing it. Or a Naturopathic with a General Practitioners license. Once you find the cause of that, then work from there. Trust me if inflammation is that bad, then you know it. When your kidneys are sick they inflame. OUCH.

Inflammation is also a response of say a cut or such. The inflammation is how the affected area is basically isolated from the healthy area so it can be healed and the healthy area remains healthy. If that inflammation spreads or is hot, you got a problem. Infection. Go to the doctor if your salve doesn't work.

Now depending on the type of inflammation and cause, if you know the cause then you work from there.

Say for example I have a cut. Dang. Okay its not too deep. keep it clean. Once it shuts and if its not deep and open then I can use a salve to reduce the risk of infection. Some situations you can use a decoction, oil or other right at the beginning.

If it is your joints, then you work with that. If it gets worse, you better go in.

Clear as mud?

You can even have inflammation in the digestive system. Say for example IBS. Or even the flu causing vomiting or the trots. The trots will cause tender tissue in the intestinal tract to inflame.

This is why when you are using herbs for the trots, you also include mucilage, demulcent, astringent, and anti-inflammatory specifically for intestines.

To be honest, I use probiotics with that type of situation also. Probiotics are not herbs.

But please note that herbs are NOT vitamins, minerals, probiotics etc. Herbs are plants, the others are not. Don't confuse the two. I find it irritating when someone suggests a vitamin as an herb. They are not herbs. Sorry pet peeve of mine.

Now many may disagree with me. Remember all herbalists are different and learned different ways of approaching situations. Some are really out there though, so those are the ones you just kinda politely say okay thanks and move along!

P.S. Duh, lol. Watch for swelling. That is a sign of inflammation. Also if joints, they will be sore and swollen or feel like there is some liquidy type feel to them. If it is intestinal, you'll know because it hurts. By this time though, it is time to go see a practitioner.
Wanderingherb