Eating Meat

Alli

Does eating meat affect the way you feel? I have noticed lately that the more meat in my diet, the worse my joints feel the next day. This is especially true of pork. Poultry and fish affect me the least but the pork has got to go. Is it just me or do you notice this difference as well?

Penelope

I'm not saying it's just you, but this isn't something I've noticed. I'm definitely an omnivore, so I eat meat, but I don't eat large quantities of it. That may make a difference, perhaps.

chabella

All Lady
I eat more chicken than anything else and I seldom eat steak (I don't really like it). I will have shredded beef every now and then or a burger but that is about it other than crab meat (real, not the imitation stuff). I do not like pork either so I guess I am not much help. How much are you eating by chance?

Alli

No that much chabella. It just seems that everytime I eat pork or beef, my joints will ache the next day. I don't think I over eat but I know when I stick to veggies and fruits, I feel much better.

SoftRain

I haven't noticed it myself, but if you feel better when you avoid meat, perhaps you should. Are you amenable to becoming a vegetarian or at least cutting back on meat?

Cassia

I eat meat, but I haven't noticed anything like that in my body. I rarely eat pork, but I am okay with fish and chicken. I control how much I consume though, so I believe that makes a difference.

2Nature

I don't think meat has anything to do with that. If anything proteins from meat can recuperate your joints a bit. I'm not saying I'm 100% right but that I never heard of such effect.

Aletha

Do you have gouty arthritis? Meats, especially pork, has a high purine level which the body will convert to uric acid in the blood. The uric acid will be deposited in the joints, especially the lower joints, as needle like crystals. This will irritate and eventually degrade the joint just like any other arthritis. Saying that, it is unusual but not unheard of for women to have gout or gouty arthritis. Here is an article about what gout is and how it happens. It also has the reasons it happens and what can precipitate an attack.

Luvkenny

I was just going to suggest gout. Red meats are a big cause of gout in some people. I eat meat every day and it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I am just lucky. I do eat more chicken than beef or pork.