Eating Critters

Primrose

My cat is the mightiest hunter I have every seen. So far, he has brought into the house 2 dead birds, 2 live birds and 2 good sized dead rabbits. My challenge is the critters he doesn't bring in and winds up eating . They always have a tendency to make him sick and it takes several days for him to recover. Is there anything I can give him to help digest these critters? I certainly can't stop him from hunting and I don't think it's right to keep him in the house all the time. Any suggestions?

Valerienne

My vet says that a cat's stomach has no trouble digesting those small animals, so unless you see blood in the litter box, which would mean his digestive tract could get torn, and if there's no bloody vomit, I wouldn't worry. If a cat can't digest some part of his prey, like the skeleton, he usually throws it up. What did you mean by saying it has the tendency to make him sick? What are the symptoms?

Trudy

I could use your cat in my yard. We have so many critters that he would have a veritable feast. I have often thought of getting a couple of cats just to catch all the voles we have in the yard.

Luvkenny

Sounds like my old cat! Don't you love how they bring you what they kill to show you? I have two indoor cats now so no more eating rabbits and baby chipmunks! I bet your cat is fine though.

Lyra

I don't have any advice for you. But your cat reminds me of when we had a cat door and one of my cats used to hunt all the time. When my husband had several extended business trips, every time he was gone the cat would bring in some creature. She really liked to bring me voles. She brought once took down a whole nest of birds, which was sad. But she brought in two full-sized birds, a baby snake and a baby rabbit.