Easy, healthy snacks

I like to make frozen yogurt (I use Greek Yogurt) topped with frozen fruit (strawberries and blueberries are my favorite fruits to use).

letusbefree

Eating the fruit whole is a better option. Pureeing the fruit increases the insulin response. Smoothies are good, though, and drinking fresh fruit smoothies is obviously better than drinking soda, but it's not something I would do on a regular basis.
Really?? I've never heard that... I guess I never really thought about how altering the state of the fruit could change the nutrients. Good to know, though -- I like my fruit whole just as well. :)

shaunche

Really?? I've never heard that... I guess I never really thought about how altering the state of the fruit could change the nutrients. Good to know, though -- I like my fruit whole just as well. :)
There's nothing wrong with drinking smoothies if they are made purely with whole fruit, you could be drinking a lot worse. I would consume smoothies in moderation, though, because one smoothie usually contains multiple portions of fruit, it can total to a fair amount of sugar.

Jessi

Yep, Shaun is right. A smoothie is generally going to be more than one or two servings of fruit and drank in a short amount of time. While fruits are good for you and the sugar is a natural one, it IS still sugar...and being consumed rapidly, which is going to mess with the system if you're not careful.

Parker

I can suggest you getting a box of Vanilla Jello, a can of Pumpkin and if you want, protein powder. But, anyway, blend the Jello and pumpkin together as you would in making the pudding. You'll have the sweetness of the pudding and the health benefits of pumpkin.
Can I substitute sweet potato from pumpkin? I think I'm going to try it. I like sweet potatoes more than I like pumpkin.

meowcow

Thanks for the tip! Vanilla mixed with fruit juice popsicle does sound pretty yummy. :) I personally prefer chips and savory snacks when I'm craving for little bites to eat. For this, I usually just go for multi-grain snacks like Sun chips or bean pod chips which are so delicious but still relatively a lot healthier than potato chips.

Jessi

Can I substitute sweet potato from pumpkin? I think I'm going to try it. I like sweet potatoes more than I like pumpkin.
Yes! Sweet potato puree and pumpkin puree are really similar in texture and sweetness. The flavor is slightly different, of course, but if that's what you prefer, then it makes an even better substitute. The health benefits won't be quite the same, though.

Parker

Yes! Sweet potato puree and pumpkin puree are really similar in texture and sweetness. The flavor is slightly different, of course, but if that's what you prefer, then it makes an even better substitute. The health benefits won't be quite the same, though.
I'm going to make it this week. I'm going to add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the mix.

Sugarhill

I suppose you can, but as Jessi said the benefits of it will be different. If I recall, you'll be tasting a little bit more of the vanilla than you will the pumpkin, so they will play off of each other in a good way. But, definitely try it and let us know how it works out for you.

mslianne

I suggest the yogurt because it is high in calcium which is good for developing the bones of your kids. You can also add some mallows so that your kids can enjoy it.:) I also suggest some fruits like apple because it is also a good source of vitamin C that can protect your kids. Why not try to make a home made smoothie? Try to make fruit juices but make sure that it has the pulp of the fruit and not just the juice because it has lots of vitamins and minerals and help you boost your hydration which is also good for your growing kids. :)

Stay healthy:D