Dumb question (acupuncture)

naturelady

I know this is probably a really dumb question, but does acupuncture hurt? I really believe it helps a lot of people. But the thought of those needles makes me squeamish.

Greyhair

It may not hurt in the way being cut does. Still, I don't like it. I hate needles. I would rather get acupressure massage than get acupuncture.

Claudette

The needles are so long and thin that it really doesn't hurt as much as think it would, or so I've heard from people who have had it done. Of course, there's always some pain. Just think of that little tiny needle you had a shot by. It doesn't hurt much.

strawberry

I've never had acupuncture done. But I think I'd be willing to give it a try if I had a problem that wasn't being taken care of with traditional methods. I wouldn't want to see the needles go in though, that's for sure. I can't even stand to watch when they do a blood test and that's just one needle.

jason

Have a great day
Getting my blood taken is worse then the little bit of acupuncture I've had done. But neither of them really bother me.

SjNative

The first time I got acupuncture was in the 5th grade. It just felt like needles poking you, but it hurt a lot more in certain places. I never complained about the pain though so you should be just fine!

No, it doesn't. There are certain parts of the skin which are quite insensitive to pain. You can try this experiment yourself.

Mark a one-inch square portion of your skin. Using a sharp needle, probe each square millimeter carefully. You will definitely find some part which feel the pressure of the needle but not the pain of the prick.

I haven't tried it but I don't think those needles are also a great idea. Although I was told that they don't really hurt and yet would even give you a relaxed feeling. I don't about that but the very thought that there are needs stuck on my skin is already hurting my mind.

Trudy

The pain is not much at all. The needles are tiny. I've had acupuncture three times, and each time the pain was negligible. What it does for you in the long run is so worth it.

SoftRain

I've only had a demonstration with one needle on my arm, but that needle didn't hurt at all. I couldn't even feel it. It could be the acupuncturist chose that location because it is less sensitive, but the demonstration did erase my fear of acupuncture needles.

Carolynn

I have always wanted to try it. I have severe TMJ and I have heard that this can be a great treatment option and far less expensive than the splints the dentist might want to use.

SifuPhil

Done properly by an experienced acupuncturist the process is essentially painless. If you have a fear of needles, however, you'll probably have more pain from that fear than the needles themselves.

It also depends upon the treatment being received, the size of the needle and the nature of the ailment.

alid1

It does not hurt if you have an excellent practitioner. It only hurts if you move after the needles have been placed. The needles sit in the skin, and if you move your muscle it moves them. That is when it hurts, and you have to have them placed again. I learned that the hard way. The Dr. had them all placed, and left the room. I scratched my nose and all the needles in my arm hurt! So, the Dr. had to replace them.

Esperahol

The general opinion seems to be yes, but not an incredible amount. That personally doesn't fill me with confidence, but I have an irrational fear of needles so it is what it is.

beckyv1265

I think that the needles are so many that perhaps the first might but since you can only feel pain in one place at a time then eventualy your brain would shut off the pain sensor mode and you would feel nothing. Like a numbing technique. I have not done it though so am just talking out of my ass.

Jesi

I know this is probably a really dumb question, but does acupuncture hurt? I really believe it helps a lot of people. But the thought of those needles makes me squeamish.
That depends on the needles, your pain tolerance and where they are positioned. Some pressure points are in various sensitive areas if you catch my drift. Often however these points are avoided if possible.

The needles are so long and thin that it really doesn't hurt as much as think it would, or so I've heard from people who have had it done. Of course, there's always some pain. Just think of that little tiny needle you had a shot by. It doesn't hurt much.
Sometimes the needle sizes vary - however as far as I know that's something you really only see in the homeland of the practice. Needles used over here in the Western world are generally standardized and disposable.

I haven't tried it but I don't think those needles are also a great idea. Although I was told that they don't really hurt and yet would even give you a relaxed feeling. I don't about that but the very thought that there are needs stuck on my skin is already hurting my mind.
Once they are in and doing there thing- all the physiological and emotional stress will be released and you may cry for no apparent reason - but it will be a good cry.

shaunche

I have had acupuncture and it did hurt. Maybe I have a lower pain threshold compared to other people. However, the positives outweigh the negatives. I hate needles too but I am glad I had acupuncture, it helped me recover from an injury.

Parker

I had acupuncture done. It really didn't hurt. It felt more like a slight pinch. The needles were thin and medium size. If you're afraid of needles, you will tense up and cause problems. I don't like needles, but I closed my eyes and visualized that I was at my favorite park. It was over before I knew it.