Dry Skin In Winter

SallyA

My skin, especially on my legs, gets very dry in the winter. I have some store-bought moisturizers that work good, but I'd like to try something natural. Does anyone have anything you could recommend?

lizard7

dry skin relief

I have been using coconut oil, the kind you buy for cooking. It seems rather greasy at first but soaks in. It is said to also help with skin elasticity. I put in all over my body after showering. About $5 for 32oz (here anyway) and looks like crisco when cold and clear liquid when warm. This is the good oil, pure coconut oil, not the HYDROGENATED oil.
From health article:
The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.

I didn't know that coconut oil is that good. My skin gets dry in the winter, too, and I'm concerned about it loosing its elasticity as I get older. It sounds like coconut oil is what I need to use. I've never seen it in regular grocery stores. Do health food stores sell it or would I need to order it online?

Aloe Vera

I have been using olive oil. It is very nice on my face. I have dry skin of course. A friend of mine also purchased Aveeno it has on oatmeal base. This is supposed to be calming to the skin. The Aveeno forms a barrier on the skin. It feels great.

lizard7

coconut oil

Lou Ana is an inexpensive brand that you might find in your regular grocery store. A health food store should stock some brand also. Just make sure it says Pure Coconut Oil and that is the only ingredient. If you can't find it locally there are plenty of online sources.

AngelaC

colloidal oatmeal lotion is great...

Hello,

I have sensitive skin and use only the purest (and most eco-friendly) options I can find; however, since I have a budget, I have to be wary, of that, too.

I get Nature's Gate Colloidal Oatmeal lotion. Whole Foods has it, but here in NC, a lot of the grocery stores have started carrying it, also. It's about $7 for a bottle, and it lasts quite awhile. I use it daily, throughout the year, and it works great!

btelfare

I have used olive oil with different essential oil for years. My skin was like a prune when I lived in Maine. After a shower, I rubbed into my skin. I then run warm water over so it gets into the pores. My skin looks great.

vanillabean

Thanks for posting this, I also get dry skin in the winter...to the point where it gets really itchy. I can't stand it! I am going to try out the coconut oil and the oatmeal lotion.

Lena51

I use Shea Butter lotion and it works wonders. I also use coconut oil all over as well as my hair. The coconut oil really works and it keeps you from going dry. Another way I do this is use cocoa butter lotion first and use shea butter lotion afterwards with that and I know it's a real go for dry skin.

Mrs. Rogers

I have a friend that swears by coconut oil. I know she always says that it's not something that you get at Walmart, so I'm assuming you need to get it from a natural store or it won't be as good. My daughter has severe Eczema and I'm about to start trying this.

ssamcd

The olive oil or coconut oil is great for dry skin. Also Aveeno oatmeal I have used. When you shower try and avoid very hot water. Put the oil or the aveeno on right away when your skin is still wet. This will keep the moisture in your skin to avoid the dry skin.

Sage

I soak my hands in cooked oatmeal during the winter. My hands get dry and cracked as soon as it gets cold, but my skin is so sensitive that I have to be careful about what I use.

Lena51

Coconut oil is amazing and everyone should give it a try. I have sensitive skin also and it doesn't bother me at all and I just love the way it makes my skin feel as well as my hair. It leaves your skin so soft and supple and you will never want to be without it. Make sure you get the coconut oil from the health food store though unless you can find a store that carries it in the organic form.

artistry

This is great information, thanks to all. Must try the Coconut oil. Aloe Vera cream is said to be good for dry skin as well.

Lena51

Yes, you would be surprised at how much better your skin feels after using it. It makes the skin so soft and supple and you will feel like a new person. All of the natural products are great for our bodies and I will stick with them from now on. So let me know what you think of it after you use it for awhile. It's great!

Pat

Shea butter is very good for dry skin. I have added baby oil to my bath to help with keeping my skin moist. It is also suggested to apply the oil to damp skin.

Esperahol

I generally stick with cocoa butter even if it does make me hungry because of the scent. It is generally avaliable and fairly cheap to get.

jolee

I am going to try the coconut oil, for sure. I recently saw it for sale at our neighborhood warehouse store, but wanted to learn more about it before buying. I hope they're still carrying it.

freshfoodie

I will have to try the coconut oil because I have eczema. It doesn't really get too bad except in the winter time. I bet the coconut oil will really clear it up and keep my skin moist though.

jolee

I got it, and am really liking what it's doing for my body's skin, but I'm not sure yet with my face. My skin is definitely softer, but my skin is also breaking out. Could just be the timing, though!