Dog Has Gas Problem

xenon

My dear dog is now 8 years old and has a gas problem. We tried a different diet but he still makes some stinky smells that we just about gag. Does anyone have a herbal remedy that may help?

dissn_it

Poor guy, they usually don't like having gas either. I think the best thing you can do is to feed him smaller meals throughout the day. Also make sure he isn't getting a lot of "people" foods, they can cause gas in dogs.

natastic

My dog is pretty young and he has a very bad gas problem. But I looked up information about his breed and it seems his breed does have gas problems. I try to keep him on the same diet and do not allow him any scraps. Seems to help a bit.

freshfoodie

I wish I did because I watch kids and their dog is old too. She farts all the time and it is so stinky. I would be interested to hear if there is a natural remedy I could give her.

Melissa

awww poor puppy! What is his diet like and have you tried seniors god kibble? I think youre suppoed to start using it around 7 years. its that way for cats anyways. Its supposed to be easier on their tummies

xenon

awww poor puppy! What is his diet like and have you tried seniors god kibble? I think youre suppoed to start using it around 7 years. its that way for cats anyways. Its supposed to be easier on their tummies
I decided to reduce the grains in his diet. I went shopping today and bought good quality mince for dogs and will get some non cereal based dry dog food if I can find it. I did a bit of research and some of the info indicated it may be an irritable bowel problem. So I guess I will start with that.

SweetPea

He may have an allergy to something in the food your giving him. Try adding some fresh mint and a lemon wedge to his water. That seems to help people and worst case it will give him good breath.

Also try to put a little bit of peppermint leaves in it's food. It will help some with your fur kiddos gas issue in it's tummy. Grains will cause them some really smelly toots... What we also found that Sweet Potato and Salmon kibble works that is Holistic as worked for our mastiffs a lot!

xenon

Also try to put a little bit of peppermint leaves in it's food. It will help some with your fur kiddos gas issue in it's tummy. Grains will cause them some really smelly toots... What we also found that Sweet Potato and Salmon kibble works that is Holistic as worked for our mastiffs a lot!
Thanks for that. I read pumpkin can also help. I will try sweet potato also. We had thought of giving fish as well. So Salmon kibble. I will check it out in the pet store. Thanks
Lemon juice wedge sounds interesting SweetPea. An old Greek woman told me once that lemon juice will help stomach problems. Will try also.

Waynefire

Fish will do wonders for your dogs! It acts a system cooler for them and you can find some at the stores really cheap. You just have to cook it up for your dogs to enjoy eating it. It may make your kitchen smell a little bit in the cooking process. However, even then it is better then smelling dog gas all night long!

xenon

Fish will do wonders for your dogs! It acts a system cooler for them and you can find some at the stores really cheap. You just have to cook it up for your dogs to enjoy eating it. It may make your kitchen smell a little bit in the cooking process. However, even then it is better then smelling dog gas all night long!
I will give that a go. I have stopped giving him all grain based foods. The things you find in dry dog food as well as canned. It seems to be working and the dogs stools are much harder. The tooting seems to have stopped a fair bit but I can access fish. Thanks.:)

ohiotom76

I've heard that parsley is safe to give to dogs and is supposed to help with bad breath, but not sure if it will help out with things on the other end, lol.

Sage

Fish will make some dogs even more gassy. I would recommend organic plain yogurt. Start with a teaspoon if you have a small dog or a tablespoon if you have a large dog. Make sure your dog isn't lactose intolerant. If he doesn't have any problems from the yogurt - increase it two two teaspoons or two tablespoons once a day.