Does your cat like fish?

BettyKane

We have always had cats and also love to fish. We are always giving the cats some of the fish as they are cleaned. I also feed some feral cats. I've noticed over time that there are some that don't seem to like to eat fresh fish. Do you have a cat like this?

SoftRain

I don't know; we've never given the cat anything to eat but cat food. I suppose cats are like humans, though, and have varying tastes.

Luvkenny

I don't know either - I would never give my cats raw fish. I know my one cat loves soft cat food that is fish. My other cat doesn't eat any soft cat food. They both love cooked chicken (people food). I've never tried to give them fish before.

chabella

All Lady
I have one cat that loves it and another that hates it, the issue? They always try to eat at the same time which usually ends up with a hissing battle.

Aletha

I have one who does and two who don't. The female loves fish flavored canned food and the two boys won't have anything to do with it. They usually take turns getting up on the dryer where the food is out. They don't fight over food but they fight about everything else.

Hedda

Our cat could be upstairs in the back room in a dead sleep, and if I open a can of tuna, he knows it and is on the spot. He absolutely turns inside out for tuna in particular.

Claudette

My dad was an avid fisherman. I used to help him clean fish out in the yard. Every cat in the neighborhood showed up. I would say cats like fish big time.

BettyKane

Interesting response here to cats liking fish or not. Actually raw fish is very good for cats, dogs too if they like it. As I mentioned, most all the cats we have ever had love fish but now and then we do end up with one who doesn't. Go figure.

Valerienne

Guys, you know that most species of fish when eaten raw are actually dangerous, right? They contain thiaminase that dissolves vitamin B1 in the animal's system. Serious deficiency of vitamin B1 can result in neurological disorders. There are some species free of thiaminase like salmon, trout and bass for example, but the rest of fish should be seared, roasted or baked before being given to the cat or dog. High temperature destroys thiaminase.

chabella

All Lady
I am not sure if the holiday spirits have reached out to the cats or not but for the last week they seem to be taking turns eating for once. Maybe it is just a seasonal blessing but I am not going to count my chickens before they hatch with these two. We have always checked with the vets first before attempting to feed them anything raw. I don't eat raw, why would my cats?

Greenwoman

My cat will probably claw you for fish if you tempt him. As for raw fish, we tend to give it to him cooked or precooked. He particularly likes tuna.