Doctors lie?

freshfoodie

There was a survey done recently that indicated 2/5's of all doctors do not tell patients if they have a relationship with a drug company. Over half of doctors do not let on how serious a patients condition is and 1/3 did not share when they had made serious medical errors. This is very scary news. You can read the whole article here.

chabella

All Lady
That is kind of a scary thing to think about when you are putting your health in their hands. I think its going to be one of the first questions I ask a doctor next time I am in the room with one.

rayne

I don't doubt this in the least. My Dr. doesn't even know my name until she looks at her computer. Why? Because I am one of the healthy ones that doesn't live in her office half the time and I explore all options before going to see her. Another thing to consider. If a Dr. treats the whole person instead of trying to treat the symptoms, they would be out of business, now wouldn't they? Sure they get kickbacks from the drug companies. How can you prove it?

freshfoodie

Rayne, my doctor knows who I am simply because I am a klutz and I hurt myself a lot. I don't go in there for anything else unless I am on death's door though. I think that all doctors have a relationship of some sort with the drug companies and we as patients should expect that and become more proactive in our own care.

CrankyMonkey

That does not surprise me but it doesn't make it any less scary. I have never trusted doctors anyway and I guess now I know why.

SoftRain

I think there are plenty of good doctors out there, but this is exactly why people shouldn't blindly trust their doctor. It's important to be questioning and proactive in your own care.

Brea

I am going to skip the article, because I do not want to be any more paranoid when it comes to doctors. I believe doctors and drug companies are best friends. That is why I will only go to the doctor if I am seriously hurt!

lettuce

What scares me the most about doctors is that they don't spend enough time on the important things, while simultaneously wasting our time on the more frivolous things. There are way too many patients and not enough good doctors to go around.

naturelady

Well, and how about this? Then they get snippy if you have the nerve to question what they are telling you. Many doctors act like their advice is sacred.

Kiki

Oh lord, I think that's really a reason to be scared, most of the doctors are lying out there and nobody's doing anything! I think this must be fixed, doctors take it in the wrong way, they must be more efficent.

hunysukle

Anther thing doctors lie about is chemotherapy. They all recommend chemotherapy to their patients when, according to a survey, most doctors themselves would not undergo chemotherapy themselves as a cancer treatment because they KNOW that chemotherapy is a bad treatment form. So yes, doctors lie.

The problem is that the doctors are in the pocket of Big Pharma, and they're doing everything they can to get paid.

The last time I went to the hospital, the nurses in the ER offered me two different kinds of medication before I even got a chance to see the doctor. When I saw the doctor, he prescribed me medication that he claimed I didn't need, but let me know that it was there if I wanted it.

I wish he would have just been honest and said "You don't really need this, but I (or my boss) get paid a commission on every ounce of medication that I prescribe."

As much as I appreciate being able to go to a doctor when I feel sick (I didn't always have this luxury) I'd rather take control of my own health.

Carolynn

I have never had to be told my doctors had relationships with drug companies. The men in suits with business cards that make it take longer, and the 500 prescription pamphlets around the office kind of gave it away! ;)

msdstnctv

My doctor is upfront about the products she's pushing. I guess that's what I like about her. My former doctor was adamant about prescribing the same drugs even when it was clear they were not working. I asked him whether they were paying him or not and he denied it. I switched doctors shortly after.

This is very scary. I've never been able to trust doctors and I don't plan on it anytime soon. They are very smart people, but just don't like to tell the truth on certain subjects. The more patients with more medical issues, the more money they will make. It is very sad but true.

This is a very-sad-known-reality. But not all doctors are like this. We all have ways of living our lives and doing things so let's leave it up to their conscience. I guess the survey calls for everybody to be empowered and educated. Information is just right on our fingertips, so we need to educate ourselves and not just rely on what doctors will tell us. More importantly seek 2nd and 3rd opinions from different doctors if you feel doubtful about what your 1st doctor tell you.

dissn_it

There are a few good ones out there but they are so very hard to find anymore. I have an "old school" doctor who will not prescribe drugs unless it is absolutely necessary. I don't know what I will do when he retires because as far as I know he is the only one in our area that takes an old fashioned approach.

shaunche

Doctors do lie. Chemotherapy 5-year survival rates are very low, less than 3%. Chemotherapy causes more harm than good. How often do you hear about a cancer survivor who develops cancer in another part of the body? This is because chemotherapy causes cancer by ravaging the immune system. Chemotherapy is extremely profitable, this is why the doctors and medical industry promote it.

Doctors do lie. Chemotherapy 5-year survival rates are very low, less than 3%. Chemotherapy causes more harm than good. How often do you hear about a cancer survivor who develops cancer in another part of the body? This is because chemotherapy causes cancer by ravaging the immune system. Chemotherapy is extremely profitable, this is why the doctors and medical industry promote it.
There's something terribly wrong with the whole system if doctors are getting paid to give people cancer.