Do Chiropractic Treatments Work?

SoftRain

Sometimes I'm skeptical of the chiropractor. Whenever my dad has to go in, he ends up going in several times and I wonder if the chiropractor is treating the symptoms instead of the underlying issue.

chabella

All Lady
I have been before but I honestly think I need to be seen again and also get an MRI. Most people who have issues after seeing one are not paying attention to the instructions they are sent home with, or not telling their doc everything they need to from the get-go.

jason

Have a great day
My wife goes a few times a year. She says she feels better when she is done. I have a friend who has done some quick treatments for me and I've felt better after them.

wanderingherb

Not getting to the underlaying issue could be some of it. Also though, if the issue is bad, it could take a number of adjustments to set it right. I was worked on about 5 times before my situation was resolved. One issue was leading to another, so couldn't do it all at once. Just work on one area at a time and something he'd have to go back to the beginning to keep it all in line. Moving the joints of the back around affects the entire back. So it all depends on the situation.

Adjustments are important so use a chiro for them but if you are consulting a chiro about chronic pain or anything else then you are probably heading down a bad path.

Unless it is something routine you should be going to a real doctor. I pinched a nerve in my neck and it caused me to lose feeling in my hand. My doctor did an adjustment for me and diagnosed me. He told me if it was still bothering me to take muscle relaxers and go to the chiro AT THAT POINT to see if it relieves it but not to rely on the chiro as the main source of satisfaction.

MarkBren

I've been hearing about getting an "adjustment". Does anyone know what this consists of. People are also telling me that getting a massage works just as well. That would be great since it costs alot less to get a massage.

A massage will loosen up any tight muscles but an adjustment is actually where the chiro cracks your joints to get them back into alignment. They will do your back and hips and get them to line up properly again.

meowcow

Personally, for more serious matters like symptoms or pains I would consult a medical doctor. I treat Chiropractors as just a supplement to my checkups. They work in terms of refreshing your body like a massage I think at least.

2Nature

I've been a skeptic for too long but after some friends' experiences I have to admit that their treatments work. I doubt that placebo in people' minds is so powerful.

Somniate

My mother had to go to a chiropractor for a few weeks at the recommendation of our family doctor. There was a visible difference - after every session, she was walking easier. She has hip and knee problems, and she was walking with a bit of a limp. After the visits, she was walking much easier, and with far less pain.

I absolutely feel like chiropractors can work for problems that are appropriate for that kind of a doctor. I used to work in a chiropractic office and many times the reason for multiple visits is that when a part of your body is out of place, it takes some time and a repetitive nature for the problem to be resolved. In some ways it kind of takes time to train your body if that makes sense. Think of it as a kind of physical therapy. I do agree with others posting here though that there are times when chiropractic care is not an appropriate treatment for your problem so you are best to go to your primary doctor first to find out what they feel is the best course of action.

zukichucha

I have gone to chiropractors a few times. Each time I have left feeling much better than I went in. One time I took my daughter who was having asthma and after her adjustment she did not have any symptoms for months. I have not gone to one for a while now luckily. But I can attest to the fact that they work.

The chiropractor helped my back out and neck. I used to get some terrible headaches, but after adjusting my neck they helped me in getting rid of the headaches.

Laurasav

I've been in several car accidents (none of which were my fault!). I've seen many doctors over the years. I've had lots of physical therapy and various treatments. There has been absolutely no relief from the pain except from chiropractic treatments. Not all chiropractors are equal though. I've seen some who have made me feel worse. I swear by my current chiropractor, and have been seeing her for the past decade or so. She uses the "Activator Methods Technique" of adjusting. It's a tool that is so gentle. I would recommend this kind of chiropractic treatment to anyone.

aphil

I have learned that it depends on the chiropractor. The first one I went to, took all of five minutes and I was out the door and in more pain than when I arrived. But I did discover real chiropractors that also massage your muscles and use gentle massage machines and blocks to assist them before and after they align your bones and spine. i have found great relief and healing from my visits to the chiropractor.

save27

They usually work quite well for me, however sometimes I feel my problems coming back if I get stressed out about something.

Also, sometimes they don't work because the chiropractor has a lot of patients so can't really spend a lot of time on you.

SifuPhil

I think like any other system of healing and pain relief the effectiveness relies upon both the proficiency of the doctor and the "treatability" of the patient - some people respond well to only certain treatments, some to none at all. When I performed acupuncture on the same condition with two different patients the results were often widely different. Some of it is over-all health level, but some of it is still a big question mark.

My husband swears by a chiropractic treatment. He goes in once every few weeks for neck aches and feels like a new person when he is done. I am also skeptical about going, but I don't like to go to the doctor in general. I have a bad back and he keeps telling me to go, but I am still uncertain. However, if it works for him, I am sure it works great for most people. If they didn't help, I doubt they would be around because people would stop going.

I when to see a chiropractor when I injured my back in a car accident. The treatments really do work and I felt relieved after my treatments.

Pat

I pulled a muscle in my neck putting up a piece of furniture without help. The chiropractor did give me some exercises that have helped but it still hurts.