Dieting and Depression?

2Nature

I have a question. I've been dieting for more than 3 months. But this is not some crazy crash diet starves your body. It's a complete professional fat loss diet with rich foods and nutrients. There is no doubt that my body has enough good foods to function but this food has no taste and I feel awful when eating it. You could say that joy of eating has completely disappeared from my life. I've been feeling seriously depressed lately but results that I'm getting with this nutritional plan are great. Do you think there is a connection?

SoftRain

Personally, I find when I'm eating foods that are good for me but that I don't enjoy, I get seriously depressed. I think it's important to enjoy food; food is a part of life! Perhaps you need to find new healthy foods that you enjoy more and/or incorporate a cheat day on occasion.

Penelope

Why does the food have no taste? Have you tried adding seasoning? Herbs and spices usually don't add any calories but can perk up the tastebuds. Food should be enjoyable and flavorful. I don't know how you could say 'rich foods' and 'no taste' and not realize that those two don't match up.

Myrth

I second the suggestion of cooking with herbs and spices, and not just because this is a forum to discuss herbs. Herbs and spices add flavor and healthful benefits.

Try making an Indian curry. Healthful and incredibly flavorful. That should get you to exploring flavor that doesn't involve junk food.

Cassia

I don't think that for a food to be healthy, it needs to be bland or without taste. As others have mentioned, there are ways to make healthy foods taste great or to enhance their flavor without sabotaging your weight loss plan.

SoftRain

Herbs and spices are important and I think people overlook them and rely on things like cheese. When I had to avoid dairy for awhile, I rediscovered how much herbs and spices can enhance dishes.