Detox to rid of fast food and soda

jblythe4

I need some advice on a detox/fast. I am trying to eat healthier but I remember reading an article awhile back that if fast food and things of the sort are in your system, your body craves these things and derails your healthy eating? Any thoughts or ideas? I especially have a problem with soda, I just can't stop drinking it. Thanks for the help in advanced!

UmiNoor

So you don't actually need a detox diet but you need to get rid of your cravings for fast food. It will definitely take a lot of discipline to stop your cravings for fast food.

And if you think you need to detox your body, try a juice fast where you only drink fruit juice and nothing else. Start with one day in a week and then try doing it for two days in a week and your body will be cleansed of the junk that you've been eating.

Sarah C.

Once you go off of the soda and fast food for 2 weeks, your cravings will almost be nonexistant. Find drinks you enjoy that are not sodas. For me it is unsweet iced tea with lemon and 1 part juice to 5 parts water over crushed ice. I also drink plenty of water. Same with the food. Find things that are not processed that you enjoy eating. For me I like baked fish with garlic and olive oil. Brown rice and raw carrots and cucumbers. That is one of my favorite meals now, and I crave this instead of fast food now. Also, eat the good foods that you like often, You do not have to go hungry. I wish you well!

hunysukle

You have to replace the foods you usually crave with healthier options. For example, drink natural fruit juice instead of soda. Your craving for soda will soon pass. You can substitute fresh fruits for sugary foods. You'll be detoxing your body and kicking your craving for bad foods at the same time.

Mind over matter. :) I know its hard to change those things were used to but then if you will it, then you can do it. Craving for fast foods and soda can really be unhealthy for anyone since it has lesser nutritional value and has a lot of added unwanted stuffs. If I am on your position, I will try eating less solid foods for a week (solid foods should be healthy) then plenty of water or drink water alone for just three days without any solid intake. :)

Wolfette

This sounds pretty gross but it's true. About 10-12 years ago, I had a tapeworm (and I hate bugs of all kinds) - once we killed it, immediately, I lost all cravings for Mountain Dew which I had been addicted to for probably at least 7-10 years. And I mean by the next day, I didn't even have one craving for mountain dew which was incredible for someone like me who could drink 7-8 a day. All soda and sugar cravings stopped dead in their tracks.

Of course, my anxiety level hit the roof and it took me years to drink a mountain dew. Today, I will endulge myself every few days with soda, some days even picking up a Mountain Dew.

Go figure, if it's the oddest outcome, it probably happened to me.

Ever since I found out that the diet that made me gain weight was fast food diet, I immediately wanted to change. I ate what my mom cooked for me and I would eat more vegetables, fruits and salads. Instead of buying my usual soda and pearl shakes, I would buy a cold drink at the tea shop (I love their milk teas). The milk tea made me lose my cravings (I think) and it would also make me feel fuller. I have lost weight and I guess I owe it all to healthier eating.

peacenik

I'm curious where you are from, katdolores? I've never heard of pearl shakes or milk teas before but they sound interesting. Can you tell us a bit more about what goes into them and how they're made?

BrittneyD

I had a real problem with Mountain Dew and Taco Bell. I have always drank too much Mountain Dew. When I was pregnant I craved Taco Bell all of the time, and it just stuck with me. Getting off both of these was not easy. I started drinking ice cold water to help flush my system out. I didn't like the taste at first so I bought the Crystal light flavorings, and every day I would put a little less of the packet in the water until I could stand the taste of plain water. My doctor adviced me to keep some chocolate squares and Exedrine around for the headaches. I am glad I followed her advice because the headaches from coming off of Mountain Dew are very painful. I also found healthier recipes to cook at home that closely resembled the things I would get off the Taco Bell menu. Cooking at home and drinking lots of water has really helped me. I don't crave either one anymore. It takes willpower, but it can be done.

lettuce

I don't think it's a matter of it being in your system, it's the habits you've formed by consuming these type of products. You've developed a taste for these things that can be very hard to break mentally if you don't stay consistent.

I'm curious where you are from, katdolores? I've never heard of pearl shakes or milk teas before but they sound interesting. Can you tell us a bit more about what goes into them and how they're made?
I live in New York right now. Pearl shakes are those shakes with tapioca pearls. I soooo love them! I usually buy at Vivi Bubble Tea in Chinatown. You can visit the place, too. They have more than just milk teas and pearl drinks. ;)

cbm87

It takes a lot of discipline and effort to detoxify your body off these toxins. Detox juices are actually really good for this. If you're really craving for soda, reach out for a combination of lime, grapefruit, and orange juice instead. Once you have your fill, you won't be able to think of drinking sodas for awhile. The combination of lemon, mango, and pineapple juice is also delicious. You'll get used to it in time just like I did. :)

konstantina

You can start by making the foods you like at home. For example, I once craved for those chicken fingers a certain fast food chain has so I bought some and made them in my kitchen. It worked after a couple of weeks. You can also go for a trip to another place. If you visit your grandmother for example in the woods where no fast food exists, you will get rid of this habit. About the soda drinking, I suggest you delay it. If you want a soda at 5, do something that distracts you and have the soda at 5:30. You will eventually end up having less glasses of soda during the day. Good Luck

btatro

Mind over matter. :) I know its hard to change those things were used to but then if you will it, then you can do it. Craving for fast foods and soda can really be unhealthy for anyone since it has lesser nutritional value and has a lot of added unwanted stuffs. If I am on your position, I will try eating less solid foods for a week (solid foods should be healthy) then plenty of water or drink water alone for just three days without any solid intake. :)
I agree, it has to be a conscious choice and it will take some self-discipline and effort. You CAN go without soda, if you tell yourself you can. Do not buy it or keep it the house. If you are already avoiding fast food restaurants that should help too. Where else does soda turn up? If it is at work, do not bring cash or coins with you so you can't buy it. Figure out where you are going to run into problems, and curb those problems before they even come about.

Esperahol

If you consider it an addiction then you should come off it the same way you would a drug. Slowly, but surely decrease the amount of soda and/or the number of trips to the fast food joint(s). As you move along you might find that you are having quite a bit of difficulty in that case you might need to find a substitute - I suggest juice or tea. For the fast food it'll depend, but try something crisp or maybe somewhat salty/spicy. It'll take effort, but I'm sure you can do it.

jblythe4

Thank you everyone for the responses!!! I completely forgot about this thread and just posted another one on accident. I got a little side tracked with my mission because of school but now I am back on track. I realize it is mind of matter and I am trying to change my ways. I guess I was just looking for a quick solution, should have known better!!! haha. Again thank you everyone for your responses, you were all very helpful.

GGGuardian

I think a laxative would help get rid of the excess junk food that may be stored in your stomach. But lots of fruits and vegetables would actually be a good way to naturally cleanse your body of all the artificial junk. Also don't forget to exercise. A quick 20 minute jog daily will work wonders for your body and health.

shaunche

You really need to stop drinking soda, it is highly acidic and full of sugar, literally poison to the body. Fast food and sugar is addictive, the more you eat the more you crave. Go cold turkey, cut out all fast food and junk from your diet, you will feel much better and your cravings will eventually dissipate.

britwade

I have the same problem. I love soda! I really started forcing myself to drink water. I started with the aquafina flavored water. Grape was my personal favorite. It really quenched my thirst. It really helped me to start drinking plain old water. I started doing it everyday and found that when I drank soda I wanted water. It's hard to do but if you keep doing it your body will get used to it. I wouldn't reccomend quitting the soda cold turkey. I would limit myself to one a day because you can get headaches when your body is so used to the caffeine and all of a sudden your not drinking it anymore. Good luck to you!