Dancing

I'm one of those who is not really a fan of exercising but wanted to stay fit. I found a new of motivating myself and that's taking some dance lessons specifically hip-hop. I even go to the gym just for that class! What about you? Would you consider dancing as a healthy alternative?

That sounds awesome! I've been meaning to do that as well. I've been meaning to start taking belly dancing lessons to tone my abs. That sounds like so much fun, doesn't it?

peacenik

I've been taking to "dancercising" around the office a couple of times a day. It is good exercise, makes me feel good, and gives me a break from working all at the same time. And it's free - no gym costs!

That sounds awesome! I've been meaning to do that as well. I've been meaning to start taking belly dancing lessons to tone my abs. That sounds like so much fun, doesn't it?
I haven't tried belly dancing but now that you've mentioned it, I'm really intrigued and just might sign-up for it! So thanks for this tip!

I have done belly dancing and ballroom dancing in the past. They are fun ways to be creative with your body movements and they help with keeping your body fit, too. The plus factor is you meet new friends and learn new moves. I think hiphop class would be awesome! I want to try that, too, but I don't think I am with that genre.

Myrrh

Dancing as form of exercise is fun! I think some people find the usual exercises a bit dull and repetitive so they are discouraged to work out. Dancing is an alternative way to move your body and get rid off those excess pounds.

Dancing is definitely a good way to exercise. When I was younger, the discotheque was where I used to do my daily workout. Now that I am not so young, I get my exercise from walking.

freshfoodie

I actually crank up the stereo at home and dance around all the time. It is a great way to burn calories and stay fit. The best part is if you do it at home, no one cares how silly you look.

sammilynn

I think dancing is great for your health. If you take a class, a lot of the time you can move up and do more challenging moves and things like that, it works your muscles, it's good for your heart and your lungs... I think it's great. If you're someone who really doesn't like just general workouts, then dancing is a good idea. It's fun too, so that's always a good thing. If you don't want to go to a class, you can just goof off at home and do it there, or get videos to help you along and things like that as well.

I can't afford it right now, but I've been dying to take dance classes! Salsa, belly dancing, modern... or, as sammilynn said, you can just put on your mp3s at home and dance like nobody's looking... because nobody's looking, haha! Of course, that won't do much to help you become a really good dancer if that's what you want, but you'll definitely get a workout.

Cassia

Dancing is a good and fun way to exercise. I haven't been into any formal dance classes, but sometimes what I do is to play any song that has an upbeat rhythm and dance with it. I don't mind what dance moves and steps I do. :D

Luvkenny

Absolutely I would consider dancing a healthy alternative to exercise. Dance is exercise! I am taking Zumba classes - Zumba is a dance but it's 100% exercise too. You should look into Zumba, it's a blast!

beckyv1265

I find dancing around the house while i am doing chores with the kids helps get the body moving and burns calories. We often stop during school lessons and I make the kids dance and jump around. It improves their blood supply and gets their minds working.

Lena51

Dancing is a great exercise and I just love it. I use to go out to clubs about four times a week just to get my dance on and it keeps you fit and you can dance to your favorite tunes and have a really good time. I lost a lot of weight and was very toned and all of my clothes fitted very nice. I have to do that again because I love fast dancing and that really get you in shape fast. I wish they had a disco 60s, 70s, 80s place here close to me. That would be a lot of fun to go there everyday or every other day to get in shape. We need those type of clubs in our neighborhoods so we can walk home if we need to after having a drink or two. It would have to be a private club and Members Only. We do not want people that act a fool and don't know how to have fun.

Jessi

I absolutely love dancing. I've never gone to a class for it but even just while I'm working at the computer at night, I like to crank up some music and dance. It doesn't have to be a full 30 minute class or anything, but just dancing around whenever can really work up a sweat.

Absolutely I would consider dancing a healthy alternative to exercise. Dance is exercise! I am taking Zumba classes - Zumba is a dance but it's 100% exercise too. You should look into Zumba, it's a blast!
Something about Zumba scares me, haha! It just seems so hard core...

thatgirl

I've looked into Nia dance but there isn't a place near me that works with my schedule. It's a flowing form that is usually done barefoot. Since I can't get to a class I just dance like an idiot at home to whatever I like. You might like it if you want to get moving to music and still have some of the meditative buzz that you get from yoga. I'm not explaining it well, I'm sure. But look it up on youtube. It's very beautiful and natural looking.

If you are dancing as a form of exercise, I would recommend pole dancing. Forget about the sexual overtones and concentrate on the actual dancing itself. It's a rather vigorous form of exercise and you can do it very well solo.

Jessi

If you are dancing as a form of exercise, I would recommend pole dancing. Forget about the sexual overtones and concentrate on the actual dancing itself. It's a rather vigorous form of exercise and you can do it very well solo.
Agreed! Only forget the sexual overtones if they make you uncomfortable, though. Embrace some of them if you can and you might have even more fun. And if not, whatever....it's fun no matter how you do it!