Cutting A Candle In Half

Weezle

I found a great buy on some non-scented pillar candles the other day. I bought a few but Ii would love to cut them in half instead of using them as 12 inch pillars. Could you do this and make two candles from them?

HerbalMajik

It really depends on how sharp your knife is. It may just drag the string out and destroy the candle outright. If you do manage a clean cut in half, you could probably just melt the wax on the tip and you would have two candles!

Marjorie

I would make sure your knife is really sharp! The wax will dull it quickly and make it hard to make a clean cut. Then melt the wax on the bottom of one candle to smooth the edges and on the top of the other to expose the wick.

wonder

What a great idea, not one that I thought of. This would be a frugal way to have more candles. I have never attempted to cut a candle once it was already made.

Try it and let us know how you made out.

Weezle

I'm thinking I could use a sharp knife and heat it to let it slide through a bit easier. I would keep reheating it and keep cutting so I could get it through the candle easier. Then melt it slightly in order to make the bottom of the candle smooth. I'm going to try this one.

heytacos

Use a heated knife to get through the wax quicker and then flatted out the two (new) bottom pieces. I have seen this done a few times but make sure the knife is up to the challenge, as I know it can be a tad tricky.