Curbing Sugar Cravings

Cassia

I have observed that for the past two months or so, my sugar cravings have been going out of control. There are times that I eat a whole chocolate bar in a single sitting. I know that this has to stop. What are ways to kick sugar cravings?

SoftRain

If you think a whole chocolate bar at once is bad, you don't want to know how much I can eat at once. ;) I have heard that stopping such indulgences cold turkey can help diminish cravings, although I haven't found it to be true for myself, even after several weeks and months.

Pinkle

Well, while one whole chocolate bar is hardly a chocolate binge (at least by my standards) I can still understand your wanting to curb the cravings. Personally, I've yet to find a way to do this. I've tried being more self-disciplined and just eating sweets in moderation, but moderate amounts rarely satisfy me so I usually end up scarfing several servings down and ruining my diet for the day. I've also tried going cold turkey but I've failed at that several times too, and wound up at the convenience store at midnight searching their candy aisles for a late-night sweet treat!

chabella

All Lady
I have never managed to stop something cold turkey all in one go around, I always fell back into whatever the bad habit was. Have you thought about substituting the craving for something that could be healthier? What about fresh fruit?

lulzrawr

I conquered this by always keeping fresh fruit in my house and (here's the hard part) not buying sweets. Then you're forced to satisfy cravings for sweet with fruit :)

Pinkle

I think chabella's suggestion of substituting something healthy in place of the chocolate is the best idea. I just finished reading an article about how easy it is to break a bad habit if you simply find a good habit (that's equally as satisfying) to sub out in place of the bad habit. Like chabella suggested, maybe you could munch on fresh fruit instead of chocolate whenever you want something sweet, or maybe you could make something homemade that is healthier, like rice krispies treats.

detoxing

A chocolate bar, at least a normal sized one, is meant to be a single serving and won't hurt you, unless you're doing it too frequently. I would worry more about your unhealthy thoughts about chocolate, to be perfectly honest.

SoftRain

I am amazed when people manage to satisfy sugar cravings with fruit. Perhaps it's because my sugar cravings are really chocolate cravings, so the mouth feel is completely different.

Lyra

If you think a whole chocolate bar at once is bad, you don't want to know how much I can eat at once. ;) I have heard that stopping such indulgences cold turkey can help diminish cravings, although I haven't found it to be true for myself, even after several weeks and months.
My mom is in the process of giving up sugar, or at least diminishing it greatly. She has done almost two weeks. She said that it was like withdrawing from a drug. She also said she is feeling so much better without the sugar. Good for her, but I'm not jumping on the no-sugar bandwagon.

chabella

All Lady
When you start to get into the fresh fruit kick you will be surprised at what you put in your cart while at the store. Last week was a huge one for me, I ended up spending about $80.00 and 90% of the cart was all fruit. If you compared that to years ago I was lucky if I had a piece of fruit in the cart let alone almost all of it!

freshfoodie

You could always try to swap out the milk chocolate for a good dark chocolate with a high cacao content. Then it doesn't have all that sugar in it and you still get your chocolate. That kind of chocolate actually has some health benefits as well so you don't have to feel guilty.

chabella

All Lady
Everyone finds some type of common ground when it comes to sweets, the main reason we swapped to fruits is because the kids showed a great interest in it and we as adults could easily adapt. The husband likes more things like oranges and plums, while I stick with apples and grapes. Now the kids, they will eat anything. :D

Sage

You could always try to swap out the milk chocolate for a good dark chocolate with a high cacao content. Then it doesn't have all that sugar in it and you still get your chocolate. That kind of chocolate actually has some health benefits as well so you don't have to feel guilty.
This is what I was going to say. If you eat dark chocolate it actually is suppose to help lower blood pressure and can fight depression too. Moderation, of course, is the key!