compression socks

chabella

All Lady
I was reading about these over the weekend when I actually got pamper socks for the holidays, but I was wondering something. These are most times marketed for air travel, but can you use them off a plane, would it give the same results?

strawberry

I think they probably would because I know that people with poor circulation sometimes wear compression stockings. And I had a friend with diabetes who had to wear compression socks to help improve circulation to her feet.

DixieMarie

I've been seriously thinking of getting a pair of these types of socks for myself. I've seen those that they advertise on TV and wondered if they were really as good as they say. Has anyone else seen this ad?

SoftRain

I haven't seen the ad, but I believe they really are good for everybody, not just those with diabetes. They can also help with varicose veins.

MarBell

My sister used these when she was dealing with varicose vein issues. I didn't realize how painful these issues were until I saw her in such debilitating pain she couldn't even get up from her chair. If compression socks help, then by all means try them.

chabella

All Lady
I have never had varicose veins or diabetes but I do sometimes travel. The issue I have is even when I am not on my feet for work I have horrid circulation so besides being a gift for someone else I think they might help me too.

rayne

I wear one compression sock on my right leg due to a severe car accident several years ago. You could say I have a bionic ankle and if I don't wear the sock, the ankle swells to an extremely abnormal size. It is not pleasant in the summertime though. Hot and sweaty.

lettuce

I've used compression tights for vein surgery before; I haven't, however, ever used them on airplanes, and I travel a lot. I think doing seat exercises and/or moving about the cabin once per hour can be a viable alternative to compression socks.

Hyacinth

I started using compression stockings when I had my varicose veins injected with a solution to make them shrink. The dermatologist said that the stockings can help prevent the pooling of blood in the legs due to prolonged sitting or standing.

btatro

Absolutely! You can use them anytime! I am a nurse and many of my coworkers (young ladies!) wear them because they can be on their feet 10-12 hours per day and end up with awful swelling if they do not. Compression stocking can not hurt. As stated by a few users above they prevent the pooling of blood in the legs which could lead to clotting (and eventually, possibly, a stroke).

dissn_it

Good information to know here. I do have vericose veins as I am quite a bit older now. I haven't had too much pain from them, but once in awhile it feels like there is so much pressure built up that my feet start to swell. I will have to give the compression socks a try and see if they help me.

shaunche

My Mum has poor circulation in her feet due to varicose veins and other health problems. She wears compression socks at work and when traveling long distance. You can wear the socks wherever you want, even though they are marketed around plane travel.

AnonaMoss

I had an anatomy course and compression socks will help varicose veins. It's also a good idea to avoid sitting for long periods of time. If you have to sit for long periods of time it's best to do some sitting exercises. There's a great workout called sit and be fit.