Coffee and Living Longer

Esperahol

I have to say my husbands grandpa only drinks coffee and he is 92 now. However, when he was in the hospital recently he could not have coffee and now he feels worse then what he ever has before.
That would be the withdrawal sympthoms kicking in. I say this as a coffee addict of many years. Don't worry too much about it, all he needs is a couple of pots and maybe some biscotti.

shaunche

I have to say my husbands grandpa only drinks coffee and he is 92 now. However, when he was in the hospital recently he could not have coffee and now he feels worse then what he ever has before.
Coffee might not be the reason for his longevity, there are many other variables such as diet, stress, exercise and genetics play a big role.

How many cups of coffee did your Grandad drink per day? He probably feels worse because he is dependent on coffee, it is a drug after all.

ohiotom76

I feel scatterbrained when I drink too much of it, and I also have trouble sleeping as it is which coffee makes it worse for me. But I do love the taste of it.

rosie

I saw the same article about coffee being good for you in Psychology Today. I put it on my fridge. I get very miserable without coffee and don't see any reason to give it up at my age.

gina121

Since one can never be sure whether something is good or bad for you, it is best to consume everything in moderation - coffee included. Even though I love my cup of java every morning, I have had to cut down considerably because it began affecting my sleep patterns.

Since one can never be sure whether something is good or bad for you, it is best to consume everything in moderation - coffee included. Even though I love my cup of java every morning, I have had to cut down considerably because it began affecting my sleep patterns.
I agree. I think if people would take all things in moderation, we wouldn't need to have all this back-and-forth about what's good and what isn't. A little coffee won't kill you, nor will it make you live forever. A lot of coffee could be a potential issue.

Esperahol

I saw the same article about coffee being good for you in Psychology Today. I put it on my fridge. I get very miserable without coffee and don't see any reason to give it up at my age.
I also get miserable without my coffee, although tea helps to bite the edge off. There is a reason I get coffee mugs, coffee machines, and coffee supplies from family and friends.

It's hard to say really. The effect coffee has on adrenaline, Cortisol and stress would make me doubt this. However I believe that coffee has strong neuroprotective effects. I know it has some beneficial health effects, but it's hard to say whether they would outweigh the negatives.

Randomhero

Too much coffee can create caffeineism which is basically when your body becomes depending on this stimulant. If you use for 8 weeks then cycle off for two weeks you should be fine. I usually get my coffee from my pre workout supplement. However starbucks can be a good and bad example due to the insane over dosage of caffeine they have in some of their drinks. Maybe 100-150mg of caffeine a day is good but past that you are just increasing the addiction with caffeinism and without it you'll get those dreaded headaches!

SweetPea

Everything in moderation. The key to a long life is having a variety of foods and knowing when to stop when your full.

rachel_11

This is what freaks me out about health news. First they say something is bad for you, then they say something is good for you. Or vice versa. They said that with chocolate, and eggs, and wine, and beer, and butter, and margarine. Now it's coffee. I'm wondering now if anything is bad or good and who to believe and when.
The motto should therefore be: everything in moderation. :)

Too much coffee can create caffeineism which is basically when your body becomes depending on this stimulant. If you use for 8 weeks then cycle off for two weeks you should be fine. I usually get my coffee from my pre workout supplement. However starbucks can be a good and bad example due to the insane over dosage of caffeine they have in some of their drinks. Maybe 100-150mg of caffeine a day is good but past that you are just increasing the addiction with caffeinism and without it you'll get those dreaded headaches!
I have tried cycling before and find it is hell during the off weeks. What I prefer to do is to have a constant supply but in strict moderation. I rarely exceed 200mg per day and now I find it doesn't affect me drastically at all. I can have a few days off and suffer only minor withdrawals. 1 day alone barely even registers with me.

Basil Nut

I wonder what there is in coffee that might produce this effect in people. Nature has provided so many different plants, all with properties of varying degrees. It's amazing when you think about it.

ghanashyam

Banned
Last night, I watched a video on yahoo about a recent study suggesting that those who drink coffee tend to live a little longer. However, the researchers are quick to say that the findings do not necessarily conclude a causal relationship between drinking coffee and living longer.
The researchers must have been paid by lobbyists to write these things. People live longer due to their healthy habits not because they drink coffee or tea or spend 10 hours a day in gyms. If one has moderate and stress free life, he would long longer.

Esperahol

The researchers must have been paid by lobbyists to write these things. People live longer due to their healthy habits not because they drink coffee or tea or spend 10 hours a day in gyms. If one has moderate and stress free life, he would long longer.
Actually people live longer due to genetics, which can be helped along by healthy habits. That said there is many a person who has lived an incredible length of time while smoking like a chimmy and knocking back alcohol like it was water. I know because I actually had to track down older individuals for a research paper. Moderation and lower stress are helpful, but only that.

shaunche

There is evidence to suggest coffee reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and dementia, it has also been linked to enhancing muscle growth and reducing the risk of various types of cancer. I think organic coffee in moderation is good for you.

beckyv1265

Great, that means I don't have to listen to anyone bellyache over the house spelling like coffee at around 5 in the morning. I do so love coffee.
I also love the smell of coffee brewing in the morning. Thankfully I have a great teenager who loves to get up early. He always puts on a fresh pot and brings me a cup. I probably drink way too much coffee but its my main beverage. I am also often up late going over lesson plans and correcting papers so I often drink it in the evenings as well. Thankfully, I have never had sleep issues so I don't have to give that up.

Melissast

I heard a study a long time ago that its supposed to help against certain types of cancer. I think that there are things in coffe that can be good for you if you use it in moderation. I have an uncle and he lives on coffe, l ike thats the only thing he will eat and drink. Hes health is horriable. His arteries are blocked and he has strokes. so living off coffe alone dosn't make you live longer. I suspect he'll die pretty soon.

claudine

I'm confused. Why scientist can't just agree on one opinion? First, I heard that coffee is unhealthy, next that it's healthy...I don't know. I drink coffee, but not too often, and I hope this is the best solution.

Esperahol

I also love the smell of coffee brewing in the morning. Thankfully I have a great teenager who loves to get up early. He always puts on a fresh pot and brings me a cup. I probably drink way too much coffee but its my main beverage. I am also often up late going over lesson plans and correcting papers so I often drink it in the evenings as well. Thankfully, I have never had sleep issues so I don't have to give that up.
Can I um borrow that teenager from you? And uh maybe some of what I imagine to be a simply ridiculous amount of coffee? I mean you ain't gotta, but it sure would be neighborly... I will almost certainly return the kid in like never. So yeah about that coffee?