Coffee and Living Longer

Myrrh

Last night, I watched a video on yahoo about a recent study suggesting that those who drink coffee tend to live a little longer. However, the researchers are quick to say that the findings do not necessarily conclude a causal relationship between drinking coffee and living longer.

Penny Royal

This is what freaks me out about health news. First they say something is bad for you, then they say something is good for you. Or vice versa. They said that with chocolate, and eggs, and wine, and beer, and butter, and margarine. Now it's coffee. I'm wondering now if anything is bad or good and who to believe and when.

This is what freaks me out about health news. First they say something is bad for you, then they say something is good for you. Or vice versa. They said that with chocolate, and eggs, and wine, and beer, and butter, and margarine. Now it's coffee. I'm wondering now if anything is bad or good and who to believe and when.
You've just reminded me of a sketch I heard from Lewis Black who was talking about this same subject. His conclusion was that health is a very individual matter and that there is no one rule that works for everyone across the board except one principle: good people will always die young and pricks will live forever.

But seriously though folks...

I noticed the same thing. It seems like experts can't even agree on what's good and what's bad, and that they change their minds way too often on things for anybody to reasonably take them seriously on anything.

But I think part of the problem is the media and how they spin things. Experts will say "we've found a vague correlation between people who drink coffee and people who live a long time" and the media will say "Drinking coffee makes you live longer, so drink up!"

rayne

I heard this on the news just recently and thought the same thing about conflicting reports. I drink my coffee every morning and am quite happy that it will not kill me any sooner that normal or make me live any longer than I should.

Randomhero

I dont drink coffee but I do take caffeine in a drink called C4 Extreme by Cellucor which is a pre workout drink. I always was worried about drinking coffee because i was afraid it would stunt your growth.

shaunche

I see this mentioned on Twitter yesterday, I didn't read the article because I was busy at the time. I'm skeptical about the health benefits of coffee because it is highly acidic and one of the most intensely sprayed crops on the planet. If you do drink coffee you should buy organic if you can afford it.

I read this article in the newspaper. I was going to mention it, but you beat me to it! I have to admit this will make my husband happy when he sees it. He drinks about four cups a day so you can tell he loves his coffee!

I read this article in the newspaper. I was going to mention it, but you beat me to it! I have to admit this will make my husband happy when he sees it. He drinks about four cups a day so you can tell he loves his coffee!
Mine does as well! He'll definitely be happy to hear this research, whether it's true or not, haha!

i think that they are just saying that they have noticed a pattern. they number they use when they take these studies from what i can see tend to be small. Also the cynic in me tends to think that they are a marketing exercise eg in this case studies done by a tea company.

Suzie

I think the media thought smoking was good for you at some point. Wine, butter, and coffee constantly flip-flop back and forth. Those three and many others have been doing it for years.

gar

But I think part of the problem is the media and how they spin things. Experts will say "we've found a vague correlation between people who drink coffee and people who live a long time" and the media will say "Drinking coffee makes you live longer, so drink up!"
It depends to which coffee company that sponsors the program. They say if its yuban then sure its natural and can probably prolong. If its folgers, its costly. :D you'll die after seeing the price tag.

Seem like these experts are experts after all. :D

Waynefire

This is great news for me! I love drinking coffee and usually have two to three cups of the stuff a day! So hopefully this type of news keeps coming out so I do not feel bad about drinking this all the time!

dissn_it

I just drink my two cups of black coffee and call it good. I don't worry about their studies anymore because of all the back and forth results. If it is true and coffee really does make me live longer, well I think that would be terrific!

Anna T

Coffee is certainly good for you, but really just in moderation. I think people who drink it all day long might be at risk for other sorts of health problems.

That said, I don't know what I would do without mine in the mornings! I love the San Francisco Bay brand for my Keurig.

I take all these studies with a grain of salt. There are just to many conflicting reports and changes in recommendations. I try to eat a wide variety of foods and everything in moderation.

I'm pretty sure coffee isn't too good if you drink 5 or 6 cups a day. There is too much caffeine if you do that. If you don't, some brands include a good amount of anti-oxidents, which is beneficial to the body.

Laurasav

Well, I'd rather my husband outlive me than vice versa! I can't imagine life without the ol' darling! So drink up, my dear! He drinks several cups of fresh roasted coffee a day. I can't stand the taste of coffee. If he outlives me by having a cup of joe, that's cool by me!

Esperahol

Great, that means I don't have to listen to anyone bellyache over the house spelling like coffee at around 5 in the morning. I do so love coffee.

artistry

Must resort to that old word moderation. I think that all things eaten or drank in moderate amounts should treat your body well. No over dong it.

I have to say my husbands grandpa only drinks coffee and he is 92 now. However, when he was in the hospital recently he could not have coffee and now he feels worse then what he ever has before.