Coconut Oil

SoftRain

Do you cook or bake with coconut oil? What type of dishes do you use it in? Is it a good substitute for butter?

I use coconut oil for sauteing sometimes, and it works pretty well but I often forget to use it since it's new for me.

amy71219

I use coconut oil for sauteing as well. I mostly use it on vegetables but have also used it on chicken. I have never used it for baking but I know that many people do and really like it.

Do you cook or bake with coconut oil? What type of dishes do you use it in? Is it a good substitute for butter?

I use coconut oil for sauteing sometimes, and it works pretty well but I often forget to use it since it's new for me.
There are a lot of dishes that can be done with coconut meat, coconut oil, and coconut water where luckily I was able to get a taste of when I visited Philippines years ago. Coconut is considered a functional food and the tree of life for Filipinos because of its so many uses as well health benefits. Before, it is believed that coconut oil contains saturated fat which is bad for the body, however, studies nullify what those beliefs speaks of. :)

I hope you guys check this: Coconut Research Center Home Page

With regards to taste it will never replace butter as coconut itself has its own distinctive taste which is also appealing, but if we are talking about nutritional content you might to consider coconut oil.

Somniate

I've never tried coconut oil or water in dishes and cooking. I've never even heard of using it to sautee things. Are you less likely to get spat at, like with butter or oil? If so, I might give it a try.

Sarah C.

I have never used coconut oil. After reading this thread, I am going to try it. Does it give a sweet taste to what you are cooking?

calvinandhobbes

Oh wow, I did not know about coconut oil until reading this thread. I have never been a fan of olive oil or butter, but I have always thought of those as the only option haha! I will certainly try out coconut oil. I wonder how much of a coconut taste it adds?

Randomhero

I didnt even know about coconut oil, I know my mom uses it sometimes for her skin or something and its supposed to help but I didnt know you can cook with it!

hunysukle

Coconut oil is a great substitute of butter. Coconut oil helps improve the digestive system and therefore prevents various stomach and digestion related problems including irritable bowel syndrome. The saturated fats present in coconut oil have anti microbial properties and help in dealing with various bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc., that cause indigestion. Coconut oil also helps in absorption of other nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids. I try to cook with coconut oil whenever I can.