Cat sleeping all the time

Luvkenny

My cat has been sleeping an awful lot the last couple of days. He is usually active and running around. I am worried that he might be sick. Any ideas?

blessedbe

I wouldn't worry unless there are other signs of a problem. Is the cat eating and drinking okay? Going to the bathroom? Vomiting, runny nose, running eyes, signs of pain? Without the rest, it could be that your cat just happened to be up all night. Many cats are more nocturnal.

sandooch

I have 3 cats, and there are days where they seem more sleepy than others. But Blessdbe is right; look for signs of sickness like she mentioned. When my oldest cat was sick enough that we took him to the vet, pink nose looked pale and his pink ears had a slight yellow tinge to them, along with extreme lethargy.

shaunche

Your cat might be catching up on some sleep debt, cats can have sleep debt too. I'm sure you are watching out for any other signs of ill-health but I wouldn't worry about it just yet. If it continues you might want to take your cat to the vet for a check up.

Esperahol

As long as the cat is eating and seems to be doing alright, then it may just need sleep. You'd be surprised what a cat can get up to when you aren't keeping an eye on it.

Beth23

Cats need more sleep then humans. They can sleep from 16 to 20 hours a day and its considered normal. Unless your cat is showing other signs of sickness or wont wake easily when you attempt to wake him/her, I wouldn't worry about it.

Beth

Jessi

I doubt it's anything to worry about really. Like others said, unless there start to be other signs of concern, then I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time.

dissn_it

Same here...if there are no other symptoms, he should be fine. If it is really hot where you are at, he may be doing all of his activities at night and then catching all of his z's during the day.

Catnaps is a term you hear a lot for good reason. Cats may be active, but they still like to curl up in a ball somewhere and sleep in a corner. Most of the time the owner just notices it more because they are monitoring them a lot closer than usual.

Kaybee517

As long as your cat is eating and drinking and using his litter box as usual I wouldn't worry too much. Cat's love their sleep and do so more as they get older. If his habits have changed with respects to eating and stooling, I'd call your vet and make an appointment. Cats many times hide their illnesses better than dogs or other animals.

ohiotom76

My one cat takes naps a lot throughout the day, but I'm guessing it's mainly because she doesn't want to be bothered with our other cat (they don't get along at all) who is pretty hyper and likes to fight.

Luvkenny

He is fine! I took him to the Vets and they said that he had a small cold. He is active again! Actually driving me crazy running around all over the place! I can't complain though!